Round vs square inserts for face mill

  • ndhr23a
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 25, 2014
      I am considering getting an indexable face mill and am trying to decide between one having round inserts vs square inserts. Does anyone have experience with these that can help me in my decision?
      The one using square inserts is a somewhat cheaper but it seems to me that the round inserts may have the advantage of better surface finish and insert lifetime.

      Thanks in advance for any help in making my decision.

      -Tom
    • burgoynedaniel
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 26, 2014
        Tom,It depends what you will use it for. In our small mills, power and rigidity of the machine limit the diameter of such face mills. So 2" diameter and 3 inserts is probably the max size you want. Larger face mills require more power which equates to a shallower cut and not using the insert to its full advantage. They also need a perfectly trammed and rigid machine or the passes will be uneven.Square inserts work best for cutting square shoulders but are not the most efficient at roughing out. The best shape for roughing out a flat srface is the "octogonal" shape that cuts at an angle like in Tormach's Superfly cutter. I have used a round insert face mill with one insert and it is middle of the road performer for roughing out but definitely gives a smoother finish. You can rotate the insert just a few degrees and have a fresh cutting face.Daniel
      • Stan Shire
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 26, 2014
          I have the Glacern 2" face mill (square inserts). Machining mostly 6061 the surface is like a mirror.
          1968 Bridgeport.