Tramming procedure

  • medicrc03
    Message 1 of 46 , Nov 29, 2013
      I have a 1979 Enco mill/drill. I finally got around to setting it up. I brought home my indicator from work( im a cnc machinist) the head is out .005. Since the head is "fixed to the column, how do I get the head square to the table? Is there somethingI am missing?

        Thanks,
         Rick
    • Jerry Durand
      Message 46 of 46 , Dec 4, 2013
        I've seen that done with a small table top mill that's had the spindle motor replaced with a much bigger one.  It was now too heavy for the lead screw/stepping motor assembly to lift so they ran a cable up through pulleys and to a counter weight.  Just watch the movement speed as you can get the weight dancing which doesn't help your surface finish any.

        On 12/04/2013 07:10 AM, Scott Dunt wrote:
        Now THAT is an idea.  While I was reading your post, I was thinking about a rope or cable to the ceiling, a couple of pulleys and a counter weight hanging behind the mill.

        Kind of like the gas shock upgrade that is done to the X2 Sieg mini mills to 'balance' the head. They do that to take the weight off of the Z axis. So maybe a gas shock could be used or just ropes - cables and weights.

        And, Yes I am still working on the wooden rocking horse for the grand baby, but when I'm at work and my brain needs a rest, I read posts on the forum and reply to them... Its a nice break from the computer craziness.
        Scott Dunt

        tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
        Skype:  jerrydurand