Help ID'ng and Info on 1988 Enco 105-1530?

  • scottdunt
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 18, 2013
      I Created a photo album titled "1988 Enco 105-1530 Variable Speed" for my 'new' mill. well, at-least its newer than my 1918 Monarch Model 'A' metal lathe.

      Any info or comments anyone has on this guy are much appreciated.  I have no manuals, so suggestions on adjustments, oiling, etc are welcomed.

      This one is interesting because it has a variable speed belt drive on it that was done at the factory.

      Other differences I am finding and I am interested others comments about, or feedback on are:

      1. the quill return spring(s) are not a coil spring mounted on the side of the unit. On this model where the new style RF30 have a coil return spring, thats my quill lock knob. (which actually presses on an about 1/2 inch diameter brass slug that presses on a flat on the quill to lock it..)

      2. My quill return springs are two extension springs that run INSIDE of the casting, one in front to the right of the quill, the other behind to the left of the quill.

      3. The column clamping bolts, have handles on them, the mill 5 photo kind of shows this.

      4. the column lock is NOT a split casting? I've not torn that down yet, but it looks like there is NO split in the casting and the locking bolts are pulling slugs that tighten?

      5. the 'Z Axis' rack, does NOT run all of the way to the top of the column? I actually can not raise the head to the top of the column without using some other mechanism to lift it?

      I'm sure I will find more things.

      This is a 3 phase unit. I have ONLY single phase. So I am looking at a 1 1/2 HP 220V motor on eBay to replace the current one.  The variable speed belt drive actually helps in that respect. The motor pulley is ONLY a 2 step and IMO i can probably get away with a single pulley. So I probably Won't be building an adapter like Rick Sparber did for his VFD upgrade.  Which is very cool by the way rick.

      I've got to get this cleaned up and running so I can sell the HF Micro mill 47158 that I have.. I know there must be someone else out there looking for THEIR Christmas present as well.

      Thanks everybody.
    • Craig E. Johnston
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 18, 2013

        Scott:

        Re your motor:  a 3-phase motor is superior—has fewer moving parts and probably more actual power.  Rather than buy a new motor, you are much better off to buy a 1.5HP VFD, AND you get variable speed to boot.  Many threads on this and other site to guide you.
        Good luck on the rebuild.

        Craig

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 24, 2013

          Thanks Craig for the reply.

          Yep, not long after I posted that question, another thread started talking about VFD's and I have located a Teco unit that will handle up to 2 HP motors for $144 before shipping, which is less than the single phase motor would have cost. So I am definitely going that way.

          I've gotten the basic mill testing done and it looks good, I need to take the motor to my place of work or my son's place of work so I can verify that the motor works on 3 phase, since I don't have that in my shop.

          Once that's done I'll get the VFD on order.

          The prospect of being able to support 3 phase in my shop is amazing.  I know I can pickup another 3 phase motor for cheap, then I can share the VFD capability between by antique 14 inch monarch lathe and the mill.. So nice to not have to change belts or play with back gears on the lathe. That will be cool.

          On a slightly different note, is there any comments to be made about the fact that the X and Y leadscrew bearing are BALL bearings?  I was looking all over for the oil cup - ball things, there is one on the Z fine feed, but I could not find any on the X - Y bearing and when I took the hand wheel off it turns out those bearings are sealed ball bearings?  That's a good thing, but does it say anything about the remainder of the machine?