reassembling - spindle pulley

  • kevinpfrew
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 11, 2013
    I am very new to mill drills, as I just purchased an RF-31 (acra), and I have disassembled and moved to basement.  I am in process of reassembly, and have a bit of a newbie question... please see attached picture.

    The pulley is attached to the tapered end on the spindle and held by friction, or press fitting. I'm planning on heating the aluminum pulley, then hopefully the expansion of the pulley will allow it to slip back on with minimal effort.

    My question is whether or not to lubricate the tapered part accepting the pulley, and if so, should I use grease or way oil?  There was plenty of grease on the large retaining nut... and there seems to possibly be a film of oil inside the pulley...

    Just don't want to screw this up!
  • Art Eckstein
    Message 2 of 17 , Nov 11, 2013
      Kevin,
      Shortly after I got my RF31 several years ago, all of a sudden the pulley your talking about started to spin but the spindle didn't. That is when I found out it was on a taper and a friction fit.  I tightened the nut (left hand thread) and it hasn't budged since.  As far as lubing the taper, I was always taught that it should be wiped clean (just like you do when you put a morse taper tool in).  Tighten the nut and forget it.

      My 2¢ worth.

      Country Bubba

      At 03:54 PM 11/11/2013, you wrote:
      [ Attachment(s) from kevinpfrew@... included below]

      I am very new to mill drills, as I just purchased an RF-31 (acra), and I have disassembled and moved to basement.  I am in process of reassembly, and have a bit of a newbie question... please see attached picture.

      The pulley is attached to the tapered end on the spindle and held by friction, or press fitting. I'm planning on heating the aluminum pulley, then hopefully the expansion of the pulley will allow it to slip back on with minimal effort.

      My question is whether or not to lubricate the tapered part accepting the pulley, and if so, should I use grease or way oil?  There was plenty of grease on the large retaining nut... and there seems to possibly be a film of oil inside the pulley...

      Just don't want to screw this up!

    • markknx

        Message 4 of 17 , Nov 11, 2013
          Hi Kevin,

          I'm relatively new to the group as well, and own a RF-30 clone.  Mine has the same pulley system as yours...  I've had mine apart, and re-assembled dry; with no issues.  I've never heard of anyone applying lube to the taper, and not certain it would be desirable to do so.  As you mentioned, it depends on friction to drive the spindle...

          Enjoy your new toy :)
          -Vern

          Sent from my iPhone

          On Nov 11, 2013, at 12:54 PM, <kevinpfrew@...> wrote:

          I am very new to mill drills, as I just purchased an RF-31 (acra), and I have disassembled and moved to basement.  I am in process of reassembly, and have a bit of a newbie question... please see attached picture.

          The pulley is attached to the tapered end on the spindle and held by friction, or press fitting. I'm planning on heating the aluminum pulley, then hopefully the expansion of the pulley will allow it to slip back on with minimal effort.

          My question is whether or not to lubricate the tapered part accepting the pulley, and if so, should I use grease or way oil?  There was plenty of grease on the large retaining nut... and there seems to possibly be a film of oil inside the pulley...

          Just don't want to screw this up!
        • Malcolm Parker-Lisberg
          Message 5 of 17 , Nov 11, 2013
            From;

            <http://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi?bd=station&th=10431>

            Oil is applied to metal to metal contact surfaces for lubrication and to prevent actual metal to metal contact where 2 surfaces slide over each other as in bearings, pistons, pins and bushes etc. When the lubrication breaks down the two metal surfaces touch and cause heat through friction. This can result in minute friction welds that break off and start the crazing seen on failed sliding components or the ultimate disaster of seized components that friction weld themselves together.

            On a taper fit coupling movement is the last thing required. The two taper surfaces are forced together by the clamping nut to prevent movement. I know the lubrication may help future disassembly but I have seen expensive crankshaft and flywheel damage on large slow revving diesel engines caused by flywheel chatter attributed to the shock torque load of compression ignition on these components when an engine is working hard. Minute black particles, typical of burnt oil, were often seen in the damage area.

            I think this would also apply with intermittent cutting on the mill

            Malcolm

            Mene, mene, tekel, upharsin
            The writing is on the wall.
            Ha-ktovet al ha-kir

            Subject: Re: [mill_drill] reassembling - spindle pulley
            To: mill_drill@yahoogroups.com

              Message 7 of 17 , Nov 11, 2013

                Hair spray? There’s a new one!

                I treat most tapers like morse tapers. De-oil with brake clean, contact cleaner, Loctite Kleen N Prime…something like that to get any oil off.

                Motorcycle grips…I use WD40. .

                Bill

[...]

                No virus found in this message.
                Internal Virus Database is out of date.

              • markknx
                Message 8 of 17 , Nov 11, 2013

                  Bill if you read my post you see I was making the point that lube was not the way to go. As I recall I even said I would just press it on.

                  As far as WD how often do you stop to push the grips back on? WD leaves a film of lube it might work for the throtle side where you have the aid of a mechanical connection, but would never hold the clutch side on a earlier style Motorcycle.

                  Just saying don't knock it has worked for years.

                  Message 9 of 17 , Nov 11, 2013

                    Well…I just never heard of using hair spray. Agreed….no lube is the way….no argument there….

                    That’s the thing about WD40. Spray it on, push on the grip with one swoop, no stopping or doodling around required, turn & twist a bit to get the grip straight with the world….no rubbing on the throttle side & all…you have a few minutes….then…. go do something else for 30 minutes. Bingo….done deal.

                    The WD40 makes it all easy & fast, and it ‘goes away’ quite quickly. Works on both sides, and leaves no lubricating film….actually the opposite….left alone after sliding them on, they are stuck. You sure don’t want a loose grip racing. The WD gets sucked up into the grip, and actually works like glue rather than a lubricant, but when you go to change the grips out, not nasty like glue….or paint…. Slice the old grip with a sharp knife, clean the bars, and grab the WD & jam on a new set. I’ve done it between motos with no problem.

                    Maybe that it won’t work on some grips…I don’t know, but I never ran across any that it didn’t work on…...I raced motocross years ago, and used plenty aftermarket brands, some factory things and then went to the yellow Ourys. I liked them the best…nice feel…and besides….they gave me free sets for slappin’ Oury stickers on my bike & placing anywhere better than 10th. J  So far, it’s worked on every grip I’ve put on every bike I’ve owned…and other peoples too….

                    Try it….you’ll like it….

                    Bill

                    Message 10 of 17 , Nov 11, 2013

                      Bill,

                       I would not have thought wd would stick Real good, learn something every day. I'll have to try it. Hair spray does the same thing in slipping them right on then it sets up. same thing taking it off. It does have to be the old fashion stuff like acua net.

                      Yeah I never really got into the dirt bikes more the dangerious on rode kind of guy. Like to put the high way mile on the bike . When I was just starting to ride I had a clutch side grip that would slip down. well a friend of mine that worked at the dealer in Sturis, MI. Told me that is what they do with all there grips. Never had one slip again. I guess this just comes down to 2 ways to skin a cat.

                      Mark

                      Message 11 of 17 , Nov 11, 2013

                        Hey Mark,

                        It was a trick I got from the bike shop I raced for. My reaction was “WHAT?” The WD40 is absorbed into the rubber, and actually makes it sticky. I used spray paint before that, and I knew other guys that used hair spray, alcohol, and other things that were all a pain to remove like contact cement and even super glue.

                        The hair spray for grips….not a bad option at all. The clean up when you do have to change ‘em is easy, and it works well.

                        I just got in the habit of using WD40…it was quick, almost no clean up, and I put on a new set of grips for every Sunday. Can use it to take ‘em off too.

                          Message 13 of 17 , Nov 13, 2013
                            GDay mayo3013,

                            Mark, those Harleys are scared of a bit of dirt aren't they? ... lol

                            You know that slipping hand grips are caused by too much polishing hey?
                            ... lol :p

                            Oh, and I don't need none of that girlie spray on my Triumph either ...
                            lol :p

                            I use washing up detergent does much the same thing as WD40 and that
                            girlie spray :p

                            --
                            Regards
                            Andy M

                            mayo3013@... wrote:
                            > Bill,
                            >
                            > I would not have thought wd would stick Real good, learn something
                            > every day. I'll have to try it. Hair spray does the same thing in
                            > slipping them right on then it sets up. same thing taking it off. It
                            > does have to be the old fashion stuff like acua net.
                            >
                            > Yeah I never really got into the dirt bikes more the dangerious on rode
                            > kind of guy. Like to put the high way mile on the bike . When I was just
                            > starting to ride I had a clutch side grip that would slip down. well a
                            > friend of mine that worked at the dealer in Sturis, MI. Told me that is
                            > what they do with all there grips. Never had one slip again. I guess
                            > this just comes down to 2 ways to skin a cat.
                            >
                            > Mark
                          • Guenther Paul
                            Message 14 of 17 , Nov 13, 2013
                              Andy
                              BMW is the way to ride

                              GP

                              mayo3013@... wrote:
                              > Bill,
                              >
                              > I would not have thought wd would stick Real good, learn something
                              > every day. I'll have to try it. Hair spray does the same thing in
                              > slipping them right on then it sets up. same thing taking it off. It
                              > does have to be the old fashion stuff like acua net.
                              >
                              > Yeah I never really got into the dirt bikes more the dangerious on rode
                              > kind of guy. Like to put the high way mile on the bike . When I was just
                              > starting to ride I had a clutch side grip that would slip down. well a
                              > friend of mine that worked at the dealer in Sturis, MI. Told me that is
                              > what they do with all there grips. Never had one slip again. I guess
                              > this just comes down to 2 ways to skin a cat.
                              >
                              > Mark
                            • Andy M
                              Message 15 of 17 , Nov 13, 2013
                                GDay Guenther,

                                :O None of that Kraut Krap for me ... lol

                                Just Kiddin' :)

                                --
                                Regards
                                Andy M

                                Guenther Paul wrote:
                                > Andy
                                > BMW is the way to ride
                                > GP
                              • markknx
                                Message 16 of 17 , Nov 13, 2013

                                  Andy,

                                  You are thinking of the ones owned by yuppies, that just ride them to H-D deeler to buy more chrome or clothes.

                                  No andy that detergent will work fine for you, I mean if you rode in the rain it might slip but you don't have to worry about that do ya? Ha,Ha.

                                  mayo3013@... wrote:
                                  > Bill,
                                  >
                                  > I would not have thought wd would stick Real good, learn something
                                  > every day. I'll have to try it. Hair spray does the same thing in
                                  > slipping them right on then it sets up. same thing taking it off. It
                                  > does have to be the old fashion stuff like acua net.
                                  >
                                  > Yeah I never really got into the dirt bikes more the dangerious on rode
                                  > kind of guy. Like to put the high way mile on the bike . When I was just
                                  > starting to ride I had a clutch side grip that would slip down. well a
                                  > friend of mine that worked at the dealer in Sturis, MI. Told me that is
                                  > what they do with all there grips. Never had one slip again. I guess
                                  > this just comes down to 2 ways to skin a cat.
                                  >
                                  > Mark
                                • Andy M
                                  Message 17 of 17 , Nov 14, 2013
                                    GDay mayo3013,

                                    > You are thinking of the ones owned by yuppies, that just ride them to
                                    > H-D deeler to buy more chrome or clothes.

                                    Ride them? ... Hell no, they're trailer queens ... lol

                                    Rain? What's that? :p

                                    --
                                    Regards
                                    Andy M