Igaging DRO's

  • keithmifflin
    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 27, 2013

      I'd like to talk to David about these but can't seem to find out anything here on the board except one email with his email address mixed up so much I can't get any email through to him.

      Keith

    • Guenther Paul
      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 27, 2013
        Just go the messages bevore this one, on the bottom of the page click on reply to sender. It will take you to Davids private e-mail

        GP w

        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 28, 2013
          I had a disappointment today with my DROs- I was making some blocks to mount the x axis bar and decided to use the Z axis DRO just for kicks (I didn't really need it, but it is there...)  I turned it on and after about 3 seconds, it started behaving oddly, then shut off.  Dead battery.  Now, while it has been installed for months, it's only been on for a total of about 2 hours.  The Y axis unit was completely dead too, and had even less "on time".

          Has anyone else experienced low battery life?  I'm thinking that the "off" state isn't quite off, and it uses a trickle of power to monitor the power switch instead having the power switch actually initiate the on state.  If so, that's fine for line-powered devices, but really poor design for a battery powered device.

          I guess I have two options (other than buying tons of batteries)- either pull the cells until I actually need them, or hardwire a dc source into all three displays.  Something to ponder...

          -Dave
        • Guenther Paul
          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 28, 2013
            Dave
            The batterys that come with the dro's dont last at all. I bean thinking
              of buying a bunch on e-bay. Its not your dro's fault. Also make shure your dro shuts of when your finished , you may have to manualy shut them of
            GP

            Message 5 of 23 , Oct 28, 2013
              Same experience here.

              With the shorter DRO that I use on my z-axis, I reverted to removing
              the battery and reinserting it only while I was using the machine. I
              bought a pack of five batteries from one of the on-line sources.
              Because I once read that low temps can prolong the storage life, I
              keep these spares in the freezer. No data on whether this helps,
              though.

              >I had a disappointment today with my DROs- I was making some blocks
              >to mount the x axis bar and decided to use the Z axis DRO just for
              >kicks (I didn't really need it, but it is there...) I turned it on
              >and after about 3 seconds, it started behaving oddly, then shut off.
              > Dead battery. Now, while it has been installed for months, it's
              >only been on for a total of about 2 hours. The Y axis unit was
              >completely dead too, and had even less "on time".
              >
              >Has anyone else experienced low battery life? I'm thinking that the
              >"off" state isn't quite off, and it uses a trickle of power to
              >monitor the power switch instead having the power switch actually
              >initiate the on state. If so, that's fine for line-powered devices,
              >but really poor design for a battery powered device.
              >
              >I guess I have two options (other than buying tons of batteries)-
              >either pull the cells until I actually need them, or hardwire a dc
              >source into all three displays. Something to ponder...
              >
              >-Dave

            • Jim Hendricks
              Message 6 of 23 , Oct 28, 2013
                I think that you are finding one of the many points why people who fit this type of "DRO" unit, eventually fit a proper ones.

                I've given up using the one in my SX3 Z axis which is fitted by Sieg themselves. Every time I turn it on after a period of time, out comes a new battery. Couple this with poor viewing of the LCD display owing to reflections...I may eventually even replace my two axis DRO with a three axis unit and put another glass sensor inside the column. I had a gut feeling I should have done that in the first place.

                Jim

                Message 7 of 23 , Oct 28, 2013

                  Dave,

                  I have no experience with the iGage but have played with digital calipers. They draw power from their batteries all of the time. That is why they don’t lose zero set when the display is dark. The battery I use on my caliper, an SR44, comes as a silver oxide or as an alkaline. The silver oxide version costs a lot more but lasts a lot longer too. If you don’t mind changing batteries, you could go with a large box of alkaline and maybe save a little money. I go with silver oxide and my batteries last around a year.

                  Since your system is not hand held, you do have another option. Go to Radio Shack and buy three separate D cell battery holders. Then solder short wires from the battery compartment inside each iGage to each battery holder. I recommend that you do not share one battery between the 3 iGage units. A D cell will probably die from shelf life limitations before it goes dead from the iGage current drain. You might even be happy with a AA battery.

                  Rick

                  Message 8 of 23 , Oct 28, 2013
                    Dave,

                    I'm not sure if I've been lucky, used an extra long life battery, or perhaps my DRO's are more frugal with electrons...but I've had my igaging units for a while now, and haven't had any issues with dead cells (-yet, knock on wood).  I've even forgotten to turn the display heads off for a couple of days at a time.

                    One thing I did do, was to toss the cells that came with the DROs, and use new ones straight away, as you don't know how long they've sat around, or at what temp, etc...

                    Rick is correct about them not shutting down completely when you turn them off.  But the current draw from the battery (in 'off' mode) should be extremely small (i.e., micro amp range)...

                    -Vern

                    Sent from my iPhone

                    Message 9 of 23 , Oct 28, 2013

                      Vern,

                      You can find references on line that the current drain when the calipers are off is slightly MORE than when the display is running. No idea if true. The current is around 10 micro amps so hard for me to measure.

                      Rick

                      Message 10 of 23 , Oct 28, 2013
                        Hi Folks,

                        In addition to the dumping the cheap batteries included with most
                        calipers and such, wash your hands well before changing batteries, or
                        handle with batteries with a bit of paper wrapped around them.

                        If you have even slightly sweaty hands and touch the area between the
                        the terminals a leakage path is created. Watch batteries will have
                        their service life reduced quite a bit by this. Sounds silly, but it's
                        a known issue in the watch service business.

                        I install watch batteries wearing finger cots or by using plastic
                        tweezers to handle the batteries.

                        Best to all,
                        Stan Stocker

                        On 10/28/2013 09:43 AM, Vern wrote:

                        > Dave,
                        >
                        > I'm not sure if I've been lucky, used an extra long life battery, or
                        > perhaps my DRO's are more frugal with electrons...but I've had my
                        > igaging units for a while now, and haven't had any issues with dead
                        > cells (-yet, knock on wood). I've even forgotten to turn the display
                        > heads off for a couple of days at a time.
                        >
                        > One thing I did do, was to toss the cells that came with the DROs, and
                        > use new ones straight away, as you don't know how long they've sat
                        > around, or at what temp, etc...
                        >
                        > Rick is correct about them not shutting down completely when you turn
                        > them off. But the current draw from the battery (in 'off' mode) should
                        > be extremely small (i.e., micro amp range)...
                        >
                        > -Vern
                      • Richard Rex
                        Message 11 of 23 , Oct 28, 2013
                          Good advice from Stan. Careful handling, ideally with rubber gloves, can help a lot. I have five or six low-budget DROs, and learned the expensive way that switching them off after use is a must. Also, go with silver oxide vs. the cheaper offerings. A couple of my name-brand calipers have a time-out feature, but the DROs do not.

                          Richard Rex
                        • cwz23t
                          Message 12 of 23 , Oct 28, 2013

                            Each of my iGauging DRO units came with an extra set of batteries.  After those are used up, CR2032 batteries are available in 4 packs at Harbor Freight for $2.  My garage door opener uses the same batteries.  I thought about wiring up a power supply for the DROs, but figured it would probably take more than 12 years to break even on the cost involved.  Just have an extra set of batteries in the tool box and you're good to go.

                            Curt

                          • casy_ch@tbwil.ch
                            Message 13 of 23 , Oct 28, 2013
                              Jim

                              Old story which happened to me as well. Now everytime I use the mill, I do not regret having bought a 3 real 3-axis DRO. It even lead me to put a 3 axis full DRO on my 10in lathe.

                              Jean-Claude

                              Message 14 of 23 , Oct 28, 2013
                                In article <1382944741.27891.YahooMailNeo@...>,
                                Dave Seiter <d.seiter@...> wrote:
                                > Has anyone else experienced low battery life? I'm thinking that the
                                > "off" state isn't quite off,

                                The "off" just switches the display drive off as this is what consumes
                                most power. If you have noticed, when it is off, if you move the readout
                                and turn it back on, it displays the new position correctly. It also
                                remembers things like the last zero point.

                                Yes, if you are not going to use them for a while, removing the batteries
                                is a good idea.

                                --
                                Stuart Winsor
                              • lists
                                Message 15 of 23 , Oct 28, 2013
                                  In article <526E6E0F.9030706@...>,
                                  Stan Stocker <skstocker@...> wrote:
                                  > If you have even slightly sweaty hands and touch the area between the
                                  > the terminals a leakage path is created. Watch batteries will have
                                  > their service life reduced quite a bit by this. Sounds silly, but it's
                                  > a known issue in the watch service business.

                                  Interesting.

                                  > I install watch batteries wearing finger cots or by using plastic
                                  > tweezers to handle the batteries.

                                  I get my watch batteries changed by our local jeweler. He doesn't charge
                                  too much, has the proper tools for removing and replacing the back and has
                                  a good turnover so the batteries are fresh.

                                  --
                                  Stuart Winsor
                                • Guenther Paul
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Oct 28, 2013
                                    Jean-Claude
                                    What do you mean by the real DRO The $ 600.00 one

                                    GP

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Oct 28, 2013
                                      Hi Jean-Claude

                                      I bought the SX3 because it was the smallest of mills that would actually make things I needed for tools.

                                      The fact that it came with the  "caliper type" depth gauge did really distract me before I realised how rubbish it was.

                                      What makes it even worse is that in my opinion, they retrofitted this cheap gadget just to make more sales..make it look a bit more "complicated" as it were.

                                      This retrofitting means that the metal strip of the gauge actually runs between the steel outer casing and the circuit board back..and in cases where it's been fitted and the board adjusted wrong...will easily short out parts of the switch circuit.

                                      I fixed this with insulation as suggested on various forums but it is still pretty useless and I now think the next upgrade will be to the Z axis.

                                      The switch unit is pretty badly designed overall compared with the SX2 and has to be adjusted just right or the membrane switches don't work properly. To be fair..the renowned company in the UK that sold it to me replaced the whole board free of charge but there wasn't anything wrong with it..just adjustment. It sits on sprung stand-offs which are adjusted so that the PCB switches just work when the membrane is pressed. If you don't put some plastic film between the gauge and the PCB the bloody thing can short out...and then you do need a new board!

                                      I don't regret paying out the money to put in a proper DRO but I do regret not doing the whole job! The Z axis is the most problematic to do neatly.

                                      I also love all the mathematical functions you can do on the DRO unit...the best of which is the 1/2 function for finding absolute centres...really useful stuff indeed.

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Oct 28, 2013

                                        The “no-name” batteries that came with my units lasted a few hours – New “brand-name” batteries have outlasted them by many months.

                                        I had considered wiring up AA batteries or using a 3 volt DC supply but the brand name batteries have been dependable so I will stay with them for now.

                                        AJ

                                      • Dave Seiter
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Oct 28, 2013
                                          I hadn't noticed this "feature" of the DRO. I guess I'll try a new set of batteries and see what happens. Adding a dedicated power supply would be cheap for me since I easily have all the required parts, but I'm not sure I want more wires snaking aroung the mill.

                                          -Dave

                                          To: "mill_drill@yahoogroups.com" <mill_drill@yahoogroups.com>
                                          Date: Monday, October 28, 2013, 4:03 PM

                                          wrote:
                                          > Has anyone else experienced low battery life?  I'm
                                          thinking that the
                                          > "off" state isn't quite off,

                                          The "off" just switches the display drive off as this is
                                          what consumes
                                          most power. If you have noticed, when it is off, if you move
                                          the readout
                                          and turn it back on, it displays the new position correctly.
                                          It also
                                          remembers things like the last zero point.

                                          Yes, if you are not going to use them for a while, removing
                                          the batteries
                                          is a good idea.

                                          --
                                          Stuart Winsor

                                              mill_drill-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com
                                        • n5kzw

                                            Message 21 of 23 , Oct 28, 2013
                                              Hi Günther

                                              Yes, it is what I meant. At this price i bought the display only. The glass scales came on top but that is already 5-6 years ago. I saw in the meantime that the scales are a bit cheaper, i.e. in Singapore. Regarding the precision, no comparison to those caliber types of rules. I hesitated a long time for the purchase and thought, after all, even if I would change my machine, the DRO has not to be changed.

                                              Jean-Claude

                                              Message 23 of 23 , Oct 28, 2013
                                                Yes Jean-Claude...I had the SX2 first but the dreaded Z drop problem was pretty bad and bleeding dangerous in my opinion so the vendor took this back and fitted a gas strut modification but that was done so badly I didn't even take delivery of it.

                                                They said they would let me have the next one up for a bargain price so I took them up on that offer. They even chucked in a free stand for it and one for my C6B which was a total of about £300 discount!

                                                In all other respects, the SX3 is a magic machine for its size...far more useful and capable than the SX2 which can only really mill small parts. Ok if you make small models and great to modify but not man enough for making vintage tool parts which is what I wanted it for.

                                                The SX2 I could move about but the SX3 is definitely a static machine!

                                                The DC brushless motor has an amazing amount of torque, even at slow speed and is so quiet you hardly know the machine is running if it's not cutting!

                                                Mind you, you have to take even a new machine completely apart to remove all the shipping "grease" and relube it...not a fun job but very instructional on learning how it all works.

                                                I like it.