Releasing tool from blind collet

  • rogers92026
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 9, 2013

      A friend complained that he was having a chronic issue of getting his collet to release the end mill.  I told him to just loosen the draw bar and tap the top of the drawbar (that is what I do on my RF-30).  It turns out that he was using a blind collet (like an ER32 if I have the numbering correct) that is held by the R-8 holder in the quill.  The collet is tightened with a spanner wrench.  So the only way to loosen the end mill is to use the spanner to loosen it.  But it doesn't want to release the end mill very easily.  Consequently, it is a slow process to change end mills.

      What do people do in this situation?  Is there some sort of wedge tool that you insert between the collet and the holder to get it to release

    • Bill Armstrong
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 9, 2013
        He should be able to loosen the nut on the collet holder until it pulls the collet loose.
        Sometimes, a gentle tap (emphasis on GENTLE) with a dead-blow hammer on the side of the nut, when it has some tension on it.

        Bill

        To: mill_drill@yahoogroups.com
        From: brogers9941@...
        Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2013 09:44:54 -0700
        Subject: [mill_drill] Releasing tool from blind collet

        A friend complained that he was having a chronic issue of getting his collet to release the end mill.  I told him to just loosen the draw bar and tap the top of the drawbar (that is what I do on my RF-30).  It turns out that he was using a blind collet (like an ER32 if I have the numbering correct) that is held by the R-8 holder in the quill.  The collet is tightened with a spanner wrench.  So the only way to loosen the end mill is to use the spanner to loosen it.  But it doesn't want to release the end mill very easily.  Consequently, it is a slow process to change end mills.

        What do people do in this situation?  Is there some sort of wedge tool that you insert between the collet and the holder to get it to release?

      • Corey Renner
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 9, 2013

          Er type collets need to be loosened twice to release, the first snap releases the nut. You then loosen by hand until it sticks then use your wrench again so that it pulls the collet out releasing the em.  Cheers c

          To: mill_drill@yahoogroups.com
          From: brogers9941@...
          Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2013 09:44:54 -0700

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 9, 2013
            Yup. And 99.99% of the time, it's all it takes.
            Every now & then, ya get a sticky one.

            Another note....always a good idea to put a piece of timber under the end-mill, so when it pops loose, it doesn't fall out into the vise or table.

            :)
            Bill

            To: mill_drill@yahoogroups.com

            From: brogers9941@...
            Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2013 09:44:54 -0700

            A friend complained that he was having a chronic issue of getting his collet to release the end mill.  I told him to just loosen the draw bar and tap the top of the drawbar (that is what I do on my RF-30).  It turns out that he was using a blind collet (like an ER32 if I have the numbering correct) that is held by the R-8 holder in the quill.  The collet is tightened with a spanner wrench.  So the only way to loosen the end mill is to use the spanner to loosen it.  But it doesn't want to release the end mill very easily.  Consequently, it is a slow process to change end mills.

            What do people do in this situation?  Is there some sort of wedge tool that you insert between the collet and the holder to get it to release?

          • Craig E. Johnston
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 10, 2013

              On my ER40 collets, opening the nut far enough will pull open the collet, releasing the end mill.  That is why you can’t just run the nut down on the collet – you have to snap the collet into the nut first, coming at it from a slight angle.  It is my understanding that all ER collet systems work this way.  So, if your friend just unscrews the nut a little more, it will pull the collet loose.