Power Feed for mill

  • Chuck
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 5, 2013
      I built a simple cheap (less than $50) power feed for my X2 mill using a
      DC gear motor, a Chinese PWM generator, a laptop power supply. It turns
      the X axis just right though the rapid traverse could be a lot faster.
      The gear motor was donated, but you can find them on E-bay or use a auto
      wiper motor (has worm-worm wheel reduction), The PWM modulator is
      available from e-bay for about $12 shipped.

      http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-6V-90V-15A-12V-24V-Max-1000W-DC-Motor-Speed-Control-PWM-Controller-/181230690986?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a3230e2aa

      The laptop power supply could be found at a charity shop like Goodwill.
      If you have an old computer power supply, that could be used.
      A toggle switch for on/off and one for fwd off reverse and your done.
      My X2 has a slot on the end of the lead screw and I made a sliding
      coupler with a lever to actuate it. Can be done. I copied the end plate
      on the mill so returning to stock is easy.
      Pics of mine:

      http://s571.photobucket.com/user/chucketn/library/X2%20Power%20Feed

      --
      Chuck
    • Vern
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 5, 2013
        Lots of good info in this thread... I might just whip one up, for the day my factory made job fails...

        -V.

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Oct 5, 2013, at 3:50 AM, Chuck <chunk07@...> wrote:

        > I built a simple cheap (less than $50) power feed for my X2 mill using a
        > DC gear motor, a Chinese PWM generator, a laptop power supply. It turns
        > the X axis just right though the rapid traverse could be a lot faster.
        > The gear motor was donated, but you can find them on E-bay or use a auto
        > wiper motor (has worm-worm wheel reduction), The PWM modulator is
        > available from e-bay for about $12 shipped.
        >
        > http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-6V-90V-15A-12V-24V-Max-1000W-DC-Motor-Speed-Control-PWM-Controller-/181230690986?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a3230e2aa
        >
        > The laptop power supply could be found at a charity shop like Goodwill.
        > If you have an old computer power supply, that could be used.
        > A toggle switch for on/off and one for fwd off reverse and your done.
        > My X2 has a slot on the end of the lead screw and I made a sliding
        > coupler with a lever to actuate it. Can be done. I copied the end plate
        > on the mill so returning to stock is easy.
        > Pics of mine:
        >
        > http://s571.photobucket.com/user/chucketn/library/X2%20Power%20Feed
        >
        > --
        > Chuck

      • Guenther Paul
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 5, 2013
          Vern
          If you build them i bet you can sell them. As soon as the weather goes cold and snowy i will start on mine.

          GP

          Lots of good info in this thread... I might just whip one up, for the day my factory made job fails...

          -V.

          Sent from my iPhone

          On Oct 5, 2013, at 3:50 AM, Chuck <chunk07@...> wrote:

          > I built a simple cheap (less than $50) power feed for my X2 mill using a
          > DC gear motor, a Chinese PWM generator, a laptop power supply. It turns
          > the X axis just right though the rapid traverse could be a lot faster.
          > The gear motor was donated, but you can find them on E-bay or use a auto
          > wiper motor (has worm-worm wheel reduction), The PWM modulator is
          > available from e-bay for about $12 shipped.
          >
          > http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-6V-90V-15A-12V-24V-Max-1000W-DC-Motor-Speed-Control-PWM-Controller-/181230690986?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a3230e2aa
          >
          > The laptop power supply could be found at a charity shop like Goodwill.
          > If you have an old computer power supply, that could be used.
          > A toggle switch for on/off and one for fwd off reverse and your done.
          > My X2 has a slot on the end of the lead screw and I made a sliding
          > coupler with a lever to actuate it. Can be done. I copied the end plate
          > on the mill so returning to stock is easy.
          > Pics of mine:
          >
          > http://s571.photobucket.com/user/chucketn/library/X2%20Power%20Feed
          >
          > --
          > Chuck

        • Guenther Paul
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 6, 2013
            Here is a power feed. Cant get much simplers then this one

            GP

            Lots of good info in this thread... I might just whip one up, for the day my factory made job fails...

            -V.

            Sent from my iPhone

            On Oct 5, 2013, at 3:50 AM, Chuck <chunk07@...> wrote:

            > I built a simple cheap (less than $50) power feed for my X2 mill using a
            > DC gear motor, a Chinese PWM generator, a laptop power supply. It turns
            > the X axis just right though the rapid traverse could be a lot faster.
            > The gear motor was donated, but you can find them on E-bay or use a auto
            > wiper motor (has worm-worm wheel reduction), The PWM modulator is
            > available from e-bay for about $12 shipped.
            >
            > http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-6V-90V-15A-12V-24V-Max-1000W-DC-Motor-Speed-Control-PWM-Controller-/181230690986?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a3230e2aa
            >
            > The laptop power supply could be found at a charity shop like Goodwill.
            > If you have an old computer power supply, that could be used.
            > A toggle switch for on/off and one for fwd off reverse and your done.
            > My X2 has a slot on the end of the lead screw and I made a sliding
            > coupler with a lever to actuate it. Can be done. I copied the end plate
            > on the mill so returning to stock is easy.
            > Pics of mine:
            >
            > http://s571.photobucket.com/user/chucketn/library/X2%20Power%20Feed
            >
            > --
            > Chuck

          • Guenther Paul
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 6, 2013
              Mike Build a nice clean looking power feed unit

              GP

              Here is a power feed. Cant get much simplers then this one
              http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/f26/homemade-mill-power-feed-18441/index2.html

              GP

              On Oct 5, 2013, at 3:50 AM, Chuck <chunk07@...> wrote: > I built a simple cheap (less than $50) power feed for my X2 mill using a > DC gear motor, a Chinese PWM generator, a laptop power supply. It turns > the X axis just right though the rapid traverse could be a lot faster. > The gear motor was donated, but you can find them on E-bay or use a auto > wiper motor (has worm-worm wheel reduction), The PWM modulator is > available from e-bay for about $12 shipped. > > http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-6V-90V-15A-12V-24V-Max-1000W-DC-Motor-Speed-Control-PWM-Controller-/181230690986?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a3230e2aa > > The laptop power supply could be found at a charity shop like Goodwill. > If you have an old computer power supply, that could be used. > A toggle switch for on/off and one for fwd off reverse and your done. > My X2 has a slot on the end of the lead screw and I made a sliding > coupler with a lever to actuate it. Can be done. I copied the end plate > on the mill so returning to stock is easy. > Pics of mine: > > http://s571.photobucket.com/user/chucketn/library/X2%20Power%20Feed > > -- > Chuck > > > ------------------------------------ > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > >