RE: Re: [mill_drill] Vern's Stuff Pics?

  • jdkmlw
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 29, 2013

      Thanks a lot for the link, looks very interesting.

      And I glanced over that PDF real quick (will read it more later), that could also be the base for a low end CNC lathe too, wouldn't need all the belts & gearing.

      Hmm maybe I just found a use for a huge piece of angle iron I have  : )

      ---In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, <mill_drill@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Hi John,

      Thanks for asking!  The lathe bed and stand shown in the photo, is my attempt at a larger version of a lathe built by G.B. Round:

      http://www.vintageprojects.com/machine-shop/HobbyLathe.pdf

      The link above points to a copy of the original 1959 Model Engineer magazine article (in .pdf format).  The author indicated that he built his lathe using bits of scrap steel, etc..  If it was built as published, it appears to have been a very robust little machine, and was later fitted with quite a few accessories.

      G.B. Round also states that, his desire was to build a lathe based on "Maudslay's triangular bar bed". But since he didn't have access to, or couldn't easily fabricate any triangular bar; he improvised using angle steel instead (thinking 'outside the box' isn't really a new idea, is it...).

      Read through the article, and study the drawings; I think you will find that it is more informative, than I will be... ;)  I had difficulty enough just getting the idea across to the local machinist, when I took the 1.5" x 3" CR bar to him, for what I hope will become part of the saddle.

      In a nutshell, if you take Maudslay's triangle bars, and place them back to back, you have a lathe bed built using a single square bar, which has been rotated 45 degrees.  G.B. Round simply built a square tube from angle steel instead...

      Unlike Mr. Round, I'll be using a headstock and other parts cast from aluminum, and am in the process of making the patterns for them now.  As a side note, I ended up with my mill-drill sort of 'by accident' while looking for someone to do machine work for the lathe.  It's been quite an educational adventure to say the least...  At the moment, I have a temporary headstock built from bits of angle steel, flat bar, pillow block bearings, etc., that are either welded or bolted together.

      You can email me directly ( n7gtb at yahoo dot com)  if you have any other questions...

      Regards,
      -Vern

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 29, 2013
        I based my lathe vertical slide on his design, so I have posted a picture in my album.
        See:

        Malcolm

        Mene, mene, tekel, upharsin
        The writing is on the wall.