Re: [mill_drill] small angle plate for hold work in mill vice [5 Attachments]

  • Malcolm Parker-Lisberg
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 29, 2013
      Thank you for that. That is what I call lateral thinking. Or when needs must and where there's a will, there's a way

      Malcolm

      Mene, mene, tekel, upharsin
      The writing is on the wall.
      Ha-ktovet al ha-kir

      Subject: [mill_drill] small angle plate for hold work in mill vice [5 Attachments]
      To: mill_drill@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Friday, September 27, 2013, 11:24 PM

      [Attachment(s) from david included
      below]

      someone did this on another
      forum and it looked like a
      good idea.  a small thick hunk with a bunch of tapped
      holes in it, fastened
      to another hunk of milled round stock.  that’s pretty
      easy to find around
      the farm.  so I did it.  milled flat and pretty
      straight on the ends
      and drilled a bunch of holes, some thru and some
      not.   then started
      tapping them 1/4-20.  I like that size for this mill
      for some reason.
      I  actually used it when it was in a semi finished
      state to hold a couple
      pieces of flat bar I wanted to use for jaws in a gadget im
      building to pull or
      pry brush out of the ground.   so, I needed to
      make a couple of hold
      downs for it, I just kind of carved those out of a bit of
      aluminum with the
      little mill.  none of it is perfect, but its very
      functionable.  I did
      the tapping with a sprial flutted tap that I just
      got.   wow ..
      that tap cut thru the plate like it was butter.  and on
      the dead end holes,
      there was no question about if I was at the bottom or just
      turning a bit
      hard.
      I am totally impressed.  im
      considering buying a
      bunch of those taps with matching drill bits and offer them
      here. . . .
      maybe some of you would voice an opinion. . . . ..