Re: Belt Guard Travel Stop

  • Edgar
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 4, 2013
      My machine is on a std. height workbench so with the cover off, the belts are above head height. That was the reason I removed the upper and lower parts of the belt cover completely... I thought it was more dangerous standing on a milk crate to change speeds than having the belts exposed. If you look at belt drive machines driven by a line shaft, they had open belts everywhere.
      The danger is having loose clothing or hair caught by the belt/pulley... neither of which I have!
      I've never seen a v-belt come apart without plenty of warning that it was starting to fail.
      Much more dangerous is the lower spindle itself. I am aware of one accident from loose clothing and the table power feed on a Cincinnati mill. The table feed handle wound into the operator's t-shirt and he couldn't reach the disengage. Bruised him a bit before the shirt ripped.
      You should follow any safety protocols that you feel are reasonable for your machine.

      Orlin in SC/USA