new article: iPod Touch Holder for Photography

  • Rick Sparber
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 5, 2013

      This article, intended for those new to the hobby of metalworking, presents a holder for an iPod touch. The holder is supported by a photographic stand. In this way I can drop my iPod into the holder and be ready to take pictures in my shop. The design can be modified to accommodate any smart phone.

      If you are interested, please see

      http://rick.sparber.org/ith.pdf

      Your comments and questions are welcome. All of us are smarter than any one of us.

      For the full index of my articles, see rick.sparber.org.

      Rick

    • Jerry Durand
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 5, 2013
        It's amazing how many of these projects got easier when we got our 3D printer.  The printed items aren't nearly the strength or quality of machined parts, but for simple holders, spacers, brackets, etc. it's great.

        Of course all items must either fit into the printer or be able to be pieced.  :)

        On 08/05/2013 02:04 PM, Rick Sparber wrote:

        This article, intended for those new to the hobby of metalworking, presents a holder for an iPod touch. The holder is supported by a photographic stand. In this way I can drop my iPod into the holder and be ready to take pictures in my shop. The design can be modified to accommodate any smart phone.

        If you are interested, please see

        http://rick.sparber.org/ith.pdf

        Your comments and questions are welcome. All of us are smarter than any one of us.

        For the full index of my articles, see rick.sparber.org.

        tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
        Skype:  jerrydurand

      • Rick Sparber
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 5, 2013

          Jerry,

          If you print it out on a 3D printer, the idea will have come full circle. I was looking for justification to buy a 3D printer when I came across a printed holder for an iPhone. It used very little plastic and did a poor job of holding the iPhone. But it got me thinking and that is when I realized that machining it from expanded PVC would work.

          I do plan to buy a 3D printer one of these days. But first I have to have a good reason. Now, if I already had a 3D printer, then I would have gone that way. Sadly, I have no doubt that I could machine the part faster than printing it and for a lot less money.

          Rick

          Jerry Durand, Durand Interstellar, Inc.  www.interstellar.com

          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 5, 2013
            On 08/05/2013 02:29 PM, Rick Sparber wrote:
            I do plan to buy a 3D printer one of these days. But first I have to have a good reason. Now, if I already had a 3D printer, then I would have gone that way. Sadly, I have no doubt that I could machine the part faster than printing it and for a lot less money.

            We bought ours after seeing a demo of the Afinia at a Design 2 Part trade show.  It's not the highest quality or the fastest, but it wasn't a kit, wasn't a fortune, prints "good enough", and does well being left on it's own for many many hours which allows me to go off and machine other stuff at the same time.

            Over all, it's working out well.  I already was using 3D CAD for CNC on one mill so migrating to the printer wasn't a big deal.

            Do NOT buy cheap plastic filament for these things!  We're going to start extruding our own, probably buying the extruder parts in the next couple of weeks.

            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 5, 2013

              Gerry,

              I noticed that Monoprice is now selling the filament. They must see that 3D printing is going mainstream.

              The improvements I have seen over the last few years are amazing. It won’t be long before these printers are as well designed as laser printers and maybe at the same price. I saw a demo of a Solidoodle (http://www.solidoodle.com/) and was impressed.

              Rick

              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 5, 2013
                On 08/05/2013 02:56 PM, Rick Sparber wrote:

                The improvements I have seen over the last few years are amazing. It won’t be long before these printers are as well designed as laser printers and maybe at the same price. I saw a demo of a Solidoodle (http://www.solidoodle.com/) and was impressed.

                They've already gotten some of the evilness of the inkjet guys, the Cube printers sell you plastic in a cartridge with a chip that prevents reloading.  Of COURSE the cartridge costs way more than a spool of plastic that costs way more than a bag of virgin pellets.

                tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
                Skype:  jerrydurand

              • Corey Renner

                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 5, 2013

                      Corey,

                      I was hoping no one would notice ;-/.

                      I fought with Alibre for a few seconds trying to go center to center and then gave up. It is correct now (I hope!)

                      http://rick.sparber.org/ith.pdf

                      Thanks,

                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 5, 2013

                        I too have been struck by the difference in place between pellets and the line they sell. I would want to dump pellets in a hopper, have the machine extrude line and then feed the line into the head.

                        Rick

                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 5, 2013

                            Now, just combine the filastruder with a printer J

                            Rick