Re: [mill_drill] new article: Yet Another Center Finding Tool

  • Rick Sparber
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 25, 2013
      Jimi,

      Thanks for the very kind words.

      Rick

      On Jul 25, 2013, at 4:17 PM, "Jim Hendricks" <jimi@...> wrote:

      Beautiful in its simplicity my dear friend...as I have come to expect from your wonderful ideas!

      Thanks for posting..I shall be making one of these at the earliest opportunity!

      Jimi

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 26, 2013
        Rick, have you compared the accuracy of this method to the older method of capturing a flat steel rule between the work and a pointed drill rod in the chuck? I wonder how close either of those methods come to finding the center as determined by an edge finder and your DRO?

        Regards,
        Ed

        --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Sparber" <rgsparber@...> wrote:

        > This article, intended for those new to the metal working hobby, presents a
        > simple project for a mill. The resulting tool lets the user cross drill
        > round stock quickly and easily.
        >

        > If you are interested, please see
        >

        > http://rick.sparber.org/acf.pdf
        >

        > Your comments and questions are welcome. All of us are smarter than any one
        > of us.
        >

        > For the full index of my articles, see rick.sparber.org.
        >

        > Rick

      • Rick Sparber
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 26, 2013
          Ed,

          The flat steel rule method is very subjective. Given a single point to press
          it down and a perfectly flat rule that is balanced on the OD, when the rule
          is perfectly level you should be exactly in the center. That is too many
          variables to have a meaningful assessment. In general, I would say it is
          very good technique.

          I sometimes still use the rule method to set cutter height on my lathe. Most
          of the time I use this height gage:

          http://rick.sparber.org/lchg.pdf

          As for absolute accuracy of my "new" gage (I suspect I have just
          rediscovered it), I am able to set zero with my DRO and electronic edge
          finder, and then move the table over. Use the gage and find center. If I
          take my time, I will be at .000 on the DRO every time. If I just slap it on
          there, I am within .005".

          The key thing to understand is that drilling holes is not a precision
          operation. So even if I was exactly at center, the drill could be off a few
          thou.