Re: [mill_drill] drilling capacity??

  • MERT BAKER
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 31, 2002
      Drilling Cap. is sufficient torque at the proper speed to rill 1" holes.
      You can BORE any hole that will fit on the lathe, & still have something to
      grab..
      Mert
      MertBaker@...
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 1, 2002
        Hi John -

        > im thinking of buying a 3in1 the G9729,

        I'm fairly happy with a 3in1,
        because of the relatively large swing in a small footprint.
        I upgraded mine with "2HP" surplus treadmill motors,
        and being able to adjust speed with a knob makes it
        more likely that I will use the right speeds.

        > what does 1 inch drilling capacity mean??
        > does that mean i cant mill out a 2inch hole,

        I think drilling capacity literally means using drill bits.
        If you don't remove enough material, drill bits overheat and dull,
        so need enough torque to remove material fast enough.

        On the other hand, with indexable end mills,
        you should be able to mill larger holes.
        Flood cooling helps.

        - Steve Weed