Re: [mill_drill] Re: Best way to remove small high spots from the table?

  • Lew Tousignant
    Message 1 of 41 , Jul 18, 2013
      If you have a grinder equipped with a diamond wheel you can make a great scraper out of a small chunk of carbide (say 1/4" x 1/4"  x 1") and an old file.  Braze the carbide chunk onto the end of the file, (this makes the assembly look like a T with the flat of the file as the vertical and the carbide as the short horizontal), then add a file handle.  You then shape your scraper with the diamond wheel.  I like the carbide just a little proud of the flats of the file, with a radius on the top of the T and a slight angle to the whole cutting edge.  You will dull the carbide edges with use, but you can re-sharpen on your diamond wheel.  Sometimes the acute angle edge of the carbide works well and sometimes the obtuse angle edge works better.

      On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 7:29 AM, Ramdog <kweimer@...> wrote:

      I've always use a good round Norton stone and some WD-40 and go over the whole table.

      --
      Lew Tousignant (Lucas)
      ltousig@...
      Message 41 of 41 , Jul 19, 2013
        d.seiter@... wrote:

        > What's the best way to remove small high spots from the mill table (from
        > nicks, etc) without removing good metal? I looked through the archives
        > last night and didn't find anything; maybe I gave up too soon.

        If you make or buy a punch with a flat end, and just break the sharp
        corner, you can use it with a small hammer to gently ease some of the
        metal back to where it came from. Then use a scraper until whatever you
        have that is flat sits properly. This is a workshop expedient method
        and isn't a substitute for other methods.

        Kevin
        --
        Kevin, NW England, UK