Re: [mill_drill] RF-30 Spindle bearings

  • Barry Kneller
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 15, 2013
      There's also a trick that cyclists use to remove stubborn push bike
      headstock bearings - you need a piece of stout tube (aluminium is best -
      soft enough not to mark the inside of the spindle) but you could use
      steel, brass or whatever's handy .

      The tube should be sized so that it just passes through the spindle.

      Make a couple of cuts about an inch (or so) deep across the diameter of
      the tube, push any convenient tapered object into the cut end of the
      tube to expand the end a little, remove the taper and compress the end
      of the tube enough to slide it down the spindle - when it reaches the
      lower bearing the tube should have expanded enough to 'catch' the lower
      bearing. a couple of good clumps with a mallet and bob's yer' Uncle.

      Cheers
      Barry

      On 7/15/2013 3:50 PM, Dustin Keys wrote:
      > I just had to knock the race out of my Jet-16 last week. I bent the
      > last inch of a 1/2 inch aluminum rod about 10 degrees to catch the lip
      > on my lower bearing cup. I inserted the rod from the top of the spindle
      > and carefully caught the edge of the bearing cup. Then I gave the top
      > of the rob a whack with a hammer. It took a few hits but the cup came
      > out pretty easily.

    • Vern
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 15, 2013
        Hi Barry,

        Nice trick. I used a similar device ( but much smaller ) eons ago, as a diesel injection service/repair tech. In principle, it worked the same way... Some of the injection pumps we overhauled used roller bearings (Simms, Robert Bosch, old IHC, etc), And occasionally required replacement. The (steel) tool we used was likely turned on a lathe... I didn't think about improvising with a length of pipe. :)

        Best regards,
        -Vern

        Sent from my iPhone