Re: [mill_drill] Protecting an angle plate

  • Roger Blair
    Message 1 of 41 , Jul 14, 2013
      I have been using Evapo-Rust for several years now to remove rust on equipment and tools, and also the crappy black oxide on new cheapy import tooling. I keep a couple of gallons in a large plastic container, just adding some over time to replace spilled and spent solution. For large or awkward parts that won't fit into a 3 gallon container, I use paper towels, layed onto/around a part/tool and brush the solution onto the paper keeping the part saturated for whatever time it takes to derust the part, folowed by wet brushing any remaining black oxide residue off, and for drawered tools ,redouse, air dry and put away. Works beautifully.

      A few years ago, I used a propane heater in the winter to heat my garage shop, which causes condensaton. Suddenly one day after not using my lathe for about a month, I discovered a rusty tint all over the ways. It took a few hours to completely remove all traces of rust, and hasn't happened since, for the last couple of winters.

      In my mind, this is a miracle solution for shop tool & equipment maintenance...

      Regards,
      Roger

      Message 41 of 41 , Jul 19, 2013
        d.seiter@... wrote:

        > What's the best way to remove small high spots from the mill table (from
        > nicks, etc) without removing good metal? I looked through the archives
        > last night and didn't find anything; maybe I gave up too soon.

        If you make or buy a punch with a flat end, and just break the sharp
        corner, you can use it with a small hammer to gently ease some of the
        metal back to where it came from. Then use a scraper until whatever you
        have that is flat sits properly. This is a workshop expedient method
        and isn't a substitute for other methods.

        Kevin
        --
        Kevin, NW England, UK