Re: [mill_drill] RF-30 Spindle bearings

  • Terry Coombs
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 14, 2013
      From: Vern
      To: mill_drill@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sunday, July 14, 2013 8:51 PM
      Subject: [mill_drill] RF-30 Spindle bearings

      I just ordered a replacement set of spindle bearings, as the lower race
      shows visible signs of damage. There are 'lines', perpendicular to the
      direction of roller travel. Running a finger nail across them, one can feel
      pitting.

      The 'difficult' part is, getting that lower bearing race out of the spindle
      housing... I thought about a long section of CR round rod, but there isn't
      much in the way of edge to hit.

      Suggestions welcomed.

      Regards,
      -Vern

      Something that's always worked for me is to MIG a bead aroud the ID of that
      outer race . As the weld cools it shrinks , and the race right along with it
      . Weld a piece of stock across the race while you're there to give you
      something to push against ... Used that trick just recently to swap out the
      front wheel bearings on my Harley . Turned a friend on to it and he
      astounded his friend with how easy the neck bearings came out of his Softail
      Springer .
      --
      Snag
    • Vern
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 14, 2013
        Terry,

        I like. Simple, elegant solution. I'll give that a try tomorrow after work...

        Best regards,
        -Vern

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Jul 14, 2013, at 7:57 PM, "Terry Coombs" <snagone@...> wrote:

> [...]
      • Dustin Keys
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 15, 2013
          I just had to knock the race out of my Jet-16 last week. I bent the
          last inch of a 1/2 inch aluminum rod about 10 degrees to catch the lip
          on my lower bearing cup. I inserted the rod from the top of the spindle
          and carefully caught the edge of the bearing cup. Then I gave the top
          of the rob a whack with a hammer. It took a few hits but the cup came
          out pretty easily.
        • Barry Kneller
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 15, 2013
            There's also a trick that cyclists use to remove stubborn push bike
            headstock bearings - you need a piece of stout tube (aluminium is best -
            soft enough not to mark the inside of the spindle) but you could use
            steel, brass or whatever's handy .

            The tube should be sized so that it just passes through the spindle.

            Make a couple of cuts about an inch (or so) deep across the diameter of
            the tube, push any convenient tapered object into the cut end of the
            tube to expand the end a little, remove the taper and compress the end
            of the tube enough to slide it down the spindle - when it reaches the
            lower bearing the tube should have expanded enough to 'catch' the lower
            bearing. a couple of good clumps with a mallet and bob's yer' Uncle.

            Cheers
            Barry

            On 7/15/2013 3:50 PM, Dustin Keys wrote:
            > I just had to knock the race out of my Jet-16 last week. I bent the
            > last inch of a 1/2 inch aluminum rod about 10 degrees to catch the lip
            > on my lower bearing cup. I inserted the rod from the top of the spindle
            > and carefully caught the edge of the bearing cup. Then I gave the top
            > of the rob a whack with a hammer. It took a few hits but the cup came
            > out pretty easily.

          • Vern
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 15, 2013
              Hi Barry,

              Nice trick. I used a similar device ( but much smaller ) eons ago, as a diesel injection service/repair tech. In principle, it worked the same way... Some of the injection pumps we overhauled used roller bearings (Simms, Robert Bosch, old IHC, etc), And occasionally required replacement. The (steel) tool we used was likely turned on a lathe... I didn't think about improvising with a length of pipe. :)

              Best regards,
              -Vern

              Sent from my iPhone