RF-30 Spindle bearings

  • Vern
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 14, 2013
      I just ordered a replacement set of spindle bearings, as the lower race shows visible signs of damage. There are 'lines', perpendicular to the direction of roller travel. Running a finger nail across them, one can feel pitting.

      The 'difficult' part is, getting that lower bearing race out of the spindle housing... I thought about a long section of CR round rod, but there isn't much in the way of edge to hit.

      Suggestions welcomed.

      Regards,
      -Vern

      Sent from my iPhone
    • Vern
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 14, 2013
        As I've been thinking about this, the answer may not be quite as 'difficult' as I first thought...

        IIRC, It is mentioned somewhere on the web, that the bearings used are simple automotive (wheel) types. Because the bottom end of the spindle housing, (somewhat) resembles the end of a rear axle housing; that perhaps an automotive bearing puller might work...?

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Jul 14, 2013, at 6:51 PM, Vern <n7gtb@...> wrote:

        > I just ordered a replacement set of spindle bearings, as the lower race shows visible signs of damage. There are 'lines', perpendicular to the direction of roller travel. Running a finger nail across them, one can feel pitting.
        >
        > The 'difficult' part is, getting that lower bearing race out of the spindle housing... I thought about a long section of CR round rod, but there isn't much in the way of edge to hit.
        >
        > Suggestions welcomed.
        >
        > Regards,
        > -Vern
        >
        > Sent from my iPhone

      • Terry Coombs
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 14, 2013
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 14, 2013
            Terry,

            I like. Simple, elegant solution. I'll give that a try tomorrow after work...

            Best regards,
            -Vern

            Sent from my iPhone

            On Jul 14, 2013, at 7:57 PM, "Terry Coombs" <snagone@...> wrote:

> [...]
          • Dustin Keys
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 15, 2013
              I just had to knock the race out of my Jet-16 last week. I bent the
              last inch of a 1/2 inch aluminum rod about 10 degrees to catch the lip
              on my lower bearing cup. I inserted the rod from the top of the spindle
              and carefully caught the edge of the bearing cup. Then I gave the top
              of the rob a whack with a hammer. It took a few hits but the cup came
              out pretty easily.
            • Barry Kneller
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 15, 2013
                There's also a trick that cyclists use to remove stubborn push bike
                headstock bearings - you need a piece of stout tube (aluminium is best -
                soft enough not to mark the inside of the spindle) but you could use
                steel, brass or whatever's handy .

                The tube should be sized so that it just passes through the spindle.

                Make a couple of cuts about an inch (or so) deep across the diameter of
                the tube, push any convenient tapered object into the cut end of the
                tube to expand the end a little, remove the taper and compress the end
                of the tube enough to slide it down the spindle - when it reaches the
                lower bearing the tube should have expanded enough to 'catch' the lower
                bearing. a couple of good clumps with a mallet and bob's yer' Uncle.

                Cheers
                Barry

                On 7/15/2013 3:50 PM, Dustin Keys wrote:
                > I just had to knock the race out of my Jet-16 last week. I bent the
                > last inch of a 1/2 inch aluminum rod about 10 degrees to catch the lip
                > on my lower bearing cup. I inserted the rod from the top of the spindle
                > and carefully caught the edge of the bearing cup. Then I gave the top
                > of the rob a whack with a hammer. It took a few hits but the cup came
                > out pretty easily.

              • Vern
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 15, 2013
                  Hi Barry,

                  Nice trick. I used a similar device ( but much smaller ) eons ago, as a diesel injection service/repair tech. In principle, it worked the same way... Some of the injection pumps we overhauled used roller bearings (Simms, Robert Bosch, old IHC, etc), And occasionally required replacement. The (steel) tool we used was likely turned on a lathe... I didn't think about improvising with a length of pipe. :)

                  Best regards,
                  -Vern

                  Sent from my iPhone