Re: Protecting an angle plate

  • ndhr23a
    Message 1 of 41 , Jul 14, 2013
      Camphor is used in a toolbox to prevent rust. See;

      http://www.rockler.com/how-to/camphor-blocks-metal-tool-box-rust-prevention-device/

      and

      http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/rust/rust.html

      -Tom

      --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Malcolm" <mparkerlisberg@...> wrote:

      > I have just purchased a new 6" angle plate for my mill and I am looking for suggestions on how to protect the plate ground surfaces from rust and dings. I need something that will hold oil or grease to cover the surfaces, but is quickly removed and replaced when I need to use it.
      > I had thought of a felt covered angled wooden open box covered in oil soaked felt. Any other suggestions welcome
      >
      > Malcolm

    • Kevin
      Message 41 of 41 , Jul 19, 2013
        d.seiter@... wrote:

        > What's the best way to remove small high spots from the mill table (from
        > nicks, etc) without removing good metal? I looked through the archives
        > last night and didn't find anything; maybe I gave up too soon.

        If you make or buy a punch with a flat end, and just break the sharp
        corner, you can use it with a small hammer to gently ease some of the
        metal back to where it came from. Then use a scraper until whatever you
        have that is flat sits properly. This is a workshop expedient method
        and isn't a substitute for other methods.

        Kevin
        --
        Kevin, NW England, UK