RE: [mill_drill] Protecting an angle plate

  • Rick Sparber
    Message 1 of 41 , Jul 14 10:17 AM
      Malcolm,

      Our kitchen is often at 86°F in mid afternoon and that is with the air conditioning on full blast! Can't recall the last time I saw rain other than half a dozen drops sizzling off the pavement. The UK sure sounds great about now :-)

      Date: Sunday, July 14, 2013, 3:44 PM

      Malcolm,

      For over 15 years I have put a simple wooden cover on my cast iron surface plate. I can see how a layer of oil soaked felt might give you an added degree of protection given your high humidity in the UK.

      Rick

      On Jul 14, 2013, at 7:35 AM, "Malcolm" <mparkerlisberg@...>
      wrote:

      > I have just purchased a new 6" angle plate for my mill and I am looking for suggestions on how to protect the plate ground surfaces from rust and dings. I need something that will hold oil or grease to cover the surfaces, but is quickly removed and replaced when I need to use it.

      > I had thought of a felt covered angled wooden open box covered in lm,oil soaked felt. Any other suggestions welcome

      > Malcolm

    • Kevin
      Message 41 of 41 , Jul 19 9:00 AM
        d.seiter@... wrote:

        > What's the best way to remove small high spots from the mill table (from
        > nicks, etc) without removing good metal? I looked through the archives
        > last night and didn't find anything; maybe I gave up too soon.

        If you make or buy a punch with a flat end, and just break the sharp
        corner, you can use it with a small hammer to gently ease some of the
        metal back to where it came from. Then use a scraper until whatever you
        have that is flat sits properly. This is a workshop expedient method
        and isn't a substitute for other methods.

        Kevin
        --
        Kevin, NW England, UK