Re: [mill_drill] Re: Protecting an angle plate

  • Jerry Durand
    Message 1 of 41 , Jul 14, 2013
      On 07/14/2013 08:16 AM, Rick Sparber wrote:
      > I used to use WD-40 a lot but the brown, sticky residue is a real PITA. I would use a light machine oil and leave the WD-40 for Water Displacement.
      >
      > Rick

      I wipe my mill down with WD-40, not just spray it. For me the solvent
      loosens the old coat to be wiped off, leaving fresh oil each time. I
      guess there's a buildup in the T-slots, but I don't really care about
      the slots. After 20 years I'm still occasionally getting a scrape of red
      grease out, I sure don't know where that's been hiding.

      tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
      Skype: jerrydurand
    • Kevin
      Message 41 of 41 , Jul 19, 2013
        d.seiter@... wrote:

        > What's the best way to remove small high spots from the mill table (from
        > nicks, etc) without removing good metal? I looked through the archives
        > last night and didn't find anything; maybe I gave up too soon.

        If you make or buy a punch with a flat end, and just break the sharp
        corner, you can use it with a small hammer to gently ease some of the
        metal back to where it came from. Then use a scraper until whatever you
        have that is flat sits properly. This is a workshop expedient method
        and isn't a substitute for other methods.

        Kevin
        --
        Kevin, NW England, UK