Re: Protecting an angle plate

  • serialdata1
    Message 1 of 41 , Jul 14, 2013
      I agree with Mark,
      Floor wax paste is a good method.
      I blend it with kerosene and spray it on to my black steel stock and bright when it goes into storage works a treat.
      Garth.

      --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "gmiller4396" <gmiller4396@...> wrote:

      > Use Johnson Paste wax on it and it will not rust. I use JPW to polish things like my table saw top and the antique cast iron sock machines I work on and it keeps the rust away.
      >
      > Mark
      >
      > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Malcolm" <mparkerlisberg@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I have just purchased a new 6" angle plate for my mill and I am looking for suggestions on how to protect the plate ground surfaces from rust and dings. I need something that will hold oil or grease to cover the surfaces, but is quickly removed and replaced when I need to use it.
      > > I had thought of a felt covered angled wooden open box covered in oil soaked felt. Any other suggestions welcome
      > >
      > > Malcolm

    • Kevin
      Message 41 of 41 , Jul 19, 2013
        d.seiter@... wrote:

        > What's the best way to remove small high spots from the mill table (from
        > nicks, etc) without removing good metal? I looked through the archives
        > last night and didn't find anything; maybe I gave up too soon.

        If you make or buy a punch with a flat end, and just break the sharp
        corner, you can use it with a small hammer to gently ease some of the
        metal back to where it came from. Then use a scraper until whatever you
        have that is flat sits properly. This is a workshop expedient method
        and isn't a substitute for other methods.

        Kevin
        --
        Kevin, NW England, UK