Re: [mill_drill] Protecting an angle plate

  • Malcolm Parker-Lisberg
    Message 1 of 41 , Jul 14, 2013

      We don't (so far) get dust storms or suffer major heat waves, though we do have a heat wave at the moment as it reached 30'C, 86'F yesterday
      but humidity is a problem. I have had an MT2 centre show those spidery shaped rust spots even when it has been wrapped in oil soaked rag.

      Malcolm

      Mene, mene, tekel, upharsin
      The writing is on the wall.
      Ha-ktovet al ha-kir

      Subject: Re: [mill_drill] Protecting an angle plate
      To: "mill_drill@yahoogroups.com" <mill_drill@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Sunday, July 14, 2013, 3:44 PM

      Malcolm,

      For over 15 years I have put a simple wooden cover on my
      cast iron surface plate. I can see how a layer of oil soaked
      felt might give you an added degree of protection given your
      high humidity in the UK.

      Rick

      On Jul 14, 2013, at 7:35 AM, "Malcolm" <mparkerlisberg@...>
      wrote:

      > I have just purchased a new 6" angle plate for my
      mill and I am looking for suggestions on how to protect the
      plate ground surfaces from rust and dings. I need something
      that will hold oil or grease to cover the surfaces, but is
      quickly removed and replaced when I need to use it.

      > I had thought of a felt covered angled wooden open box
      covered in lm,oil soaked felt. Any other suggestions
      welcome

      > Malcolm

    • Kevin
      Message 41 of 41 , Jul 19, 2013
        d.seiter@... wrote:

        > What's the best way to remove small high spots from the mill table (from
        > nicks, etc) without removing good metal? I looked through the archives
        > last night and didn't find anything; maybe I gave up too soon.

        If you make or buy a punch with a flat end, and just break the sharp
        corner, you can use it with a small hammer to gently ease some of the
        metal back to where it came from. Then use a scraper until whatever you
        have that is flat sits properly. This is a workshop expedient method
        and isn't a substitute for other methods.

        Kevin
        --
        Kevin, NW England, UK