rong fu 30 issues

  • davidhallsten
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 12, 2013
      I got this nice little mill earlier this spring, and noticed that when using the drill chuck to drill a hole with a small rotabroach cutter, it wobbled like crazy when I started to put downward pressure on it. hummm. could this be the chuck is crappy ? maybe.

      the chuck was a old Jacobs ball bearing chuck with a worn out toothed sleeve. the sleeve was as expensive as a couple new chucks so I got one new one, saved the old one for the widows auction :)

      same problem. .. . even with a 1/8 inch end mill in it, the initial down pressure, even just a little down pressure and it wobbles like a spindle bearing is loose. I tried moving the spindle back and forth when its not turning and do not feel any looseness and it seems to run fairly quiet.

      this could be why it was available to me. another hummmmm !

      the good news is that it only wobbles with chuck, not when I use the collets.

      can someone explain ????
    • Corey Renner

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 13, 2013
          Is the R8 shaft pulling up tight into the spindle? If it is, is something wedged in there (maybe not if the collets work)? How true does the drill chuck arbor run? Does the spindle hold have run-out inside (hard to really check if somethings up with the bearing only when under load, but I would get an integral chuck anyway.

          Lots to check. Good luck.

          Barry
        • mrwhiz49
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 14, 2013
            Mine will do the same thing. Drill chucks don't do well with sideways forces. Endmills in the chuck tend to knock the chuck loose from the taper fit.