angle grinder disks

  • Jerry Durand
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 8, 2013
      I needed some more disks and stopped by a Harbor Freight to pick them up
      since we were close and they'd be low cost. Odd thing, these are about
      twice as thick as the "name brand" ones I've been using which I assume
      will make them even more of a good deal (assuming they don't explode
      when I turn on the grinder).

      Are there more than one standard thickness?

      tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
      Skype: jerrydurand
    • CS Mo
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 8, 2013
        Are you talking about the cup style disks or the flat ones? Regardless, they come in a variety of thicknesses, for cutting the thin ones are best, for grinding, the thickest that will fit in what you're grinding, will last longest but also may be too much for your grinder.

        --DS

        >I needed some more disks and stopped by a Harbor Freight to pick them up
        >since we were close and they'd be low cost. Odd thing, these are about
        >twice as thick as the "name brand" ones I've been using which I assume
        >will make them even more of a good deal (assuming they don't explode
        >when I turn on the grinder).
        >
        >Are there more than one standard thickness?
        >
        >--
        >Jerry Durand, Durand Interstellar, Inc. www.interstellar.com
        >tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
        >Skype: jerrydurand
      • Jerry Durand
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 8, 2013
          Depressed center 4-1/2" diameter AO.

          On 07/08/2013 07:19 PM, CS Mo wrote:
          > Are you talking about the cup style disks or the flat ones? Regardless, they come in a variety of thicknesses, for cutting the thin ones are best, for grinding, the thickest that will fit in what you're grinding, will last longest but also may be too much for your grinder.

          tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
          Skype: jerrydurand
        • Darren M
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 9, 2013
            Jerry, I went through this a few months back. I was in the middle of a project when I ran out of discs. So I did a grab and go at the store and when I went to install them I read the label on the disc (can you believe it) and discovered I had bought masonry wheels. Pay careful attention that the ones you bought are for metal and not masonry (grinding out mortar joints)

            Darren M.

            --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Jerry Durand <jdurand@...> wrote:

            > Depressed center 4-1/2" diameter AO.
            >
            > On 07/08/2013 07:19 PM, CS Mo wrote:
            > > Are you talking about the cup style disks or the flat ones? Regardless, they come in a variety of thicknesses, for cutting the thin ones are best, for grinding, the thickest that will fit in what you're grinding, will last longest but also may be too much for your grinder.
            > >

            > --
            > Jerry Durand, Durand Interstellar, Inc. www.interstellar.com
            > tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
            > Skype: jerrydurand

          • svsequoia_pdx
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 9, 2013
              Jerry:
              Perhaps you are talking about flap disks,  like these , which have a series of overlapping sheets of sandpaper glued to a firm backing, and which slowly wear away as you use them, constantly exposing fresh abrasive. If so, they do indeed come in two different thickness.  The thicker ones cost more but last longer.
              Craig
              --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Jerry Durand wrote:

              > I needed some more disks and stopped by a Harbor Freight to pick them up
              > since we were close and they'd be low cost. Odd thing, these are about
              > twice as thick as the "name brand" ones I've been using which I assume
              > will make them even more of a good deal (assuming they don't explode
              > when I turn on the grinder).
              >
              > Are there more than one standard thickness?
              >
              > --
              > Jerry Durand, Durand Interstellar, Inc. www.interstellar.com
              > tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
              > Skype: jerrydurand

            • Jerry Durand
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 9, 2013
                I double checked, METAL clearly printed on them. I guess they just make
                them thick, maybe they had spare AO.

                I wonder where all the aluminum oxide comes from to make wheels, I
                assume they're not grinding up sapphires or something. Slag from
                aluminum smelting?

                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 9, 2013
                  On 07/09/2013 05:58 AM, svsequoia_pdx wrote:
                  Jerry:
                  Perhaps you are talking about flap disks,  like these , which have a series of overlapping sheets of sandpaper glued to a firm backing, and which slowly wear away as you use them, constantly exposing fresh abrasive. If so, they do indeed come in two different thickness.  The thicker ones cost more but last longer.
                  Craig

                  These
                  http://www.harborfreight.com/4-12-grinding-wheels-for-metal-pack-of-10-69235.html

                  And I see the one reviewer hated them.  I haven't tried one yet but they LOOK just fine.