Re: [mill_drill] New Enco vise - spare parts(?)

  • Vern
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 30, 2013
      This was spot on even though they are too large to fit the slots on my table.  I still haven't determined exactly what purpose the sheet metal plate serves...  That might reveal itself if/when I remove the swivel base.

      One minor annoyance, is that the traveling 'nut' that is attached to the movable jaw, jams up when tightening the vice.  I've found that I must reach around and lift the nut, before it clears some interfering surface in order to allow the jaws to finally close...  I'm thinking this may be a result of some design feature left out, either to save cost or due to negligence...?  Looking down the end of the vice, it appears that the nut is designed to be held up against the under side of the vice ways, but the intended device(s) weren't included when built/fabricated. So I placed the sheet metal plate under the nut, to serve as a temporary 'ramp' for the time being...  I'm willing to wager this isn't a problem on the Kurt(?).

      Regards,
      -Vern

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Jun 29, 2013, at 9:33 PM, Curt Wuollet <wideopen1@...> wrote:

      Never mind, table keys makes more sense.

      Regards
      cww

      On 06/29/2013 11:24 PM, Curt Wuollet wrote:

      Could the two small blocks form a vice jaw stop?

      Regards
      cww

      On 06/29/2013 08:55 PM, Vern wrote:

      My new Enco (Interstate) manual mill vise was supplied with some extra (mystery) pieces... A flat sheet metal plate approx 7 7/8" x 2 3/8", two small rectangular blocks drilled and countersunk, each with short (1/4x20?) screws...

      Just wondering if someone knows what these items are for? There is no mention of them in the ( rather limited ) documentation...

      Thanks,
      -Vern
      Sent from my iPhone

    • CS Mo
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 30, 2013
        Assuming it is an 'Anglock' style vise, the sheet metal plate fits in front of the the mobile jaw, between the two shoulders, over the screw, under the fixed jaw.

        See:

        <http://www.kurtworkholding.com/workholding/anglock_d.php>

        The sheet metal is blackish area between the jaws.

        --CS

        >This was spot on even though they are too large to fit the slots on my
        >table. I still haven't determined exactly what purpose the sheet metal
        >plate serves... That might reveal itself if/when I remove the swivel base.
        >
        >One minor annoyance, is that the traveling 'nut' that is attached to the
        >movable jaw, jams up when tightening the vice. I've found that I must
        >reach around and lift the nut, before it clears some interfering surface
        >in order to allow the jaws to finally close... I'm thinking this may be
        >a result of some design feature left out, either to save cost or due to
        >negligence...? Looking down the end of the vice, it appears that the
        >nut is designed to be held up against the under side of the vice ways,
        >but the intended device(s) weren't included when built/fabricated. So I
        >placed the sheet metal plate under the nut, to serve as a temporary
        >'ramp' for the time being... I'm willing to wager this isn't a problem
        >on the Kurt(?).
        >
        >Regards,
        >-Vern
        >
        >Sent from my iPhone
      • componenx
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 30, 2013
          Which vise did you get?  Mine came with the table keys, but no plate.

          -Dave

          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 30, 2013
            Mine is similar to the Kurt D688, but with less jaw opening, and a swivel base. The parts breakdown shows the plate as a 'chip guard (long)'. This was suggested earlier... I guess that pretty much wraps it up. Thanks for the link. I had searched Kurt's site earlier, but did not find the particular page containing a link to the manual.

            Regards
            -Vern
            Sent from my iPhone

            On Jun 30, 2013, at 3:05 PM, "CS Mo" <cs@...> wrote:

            > Assuming it is an 'Anglock' style vise, the sheet metal plate fits in front of the the mobile jaw, between the two shoulders, over the screw, under the fixed jaw.
            >
            > See:
            >
            > <http://www.kurtworkholding.com/workholding/anglock_d.php>
            >
            > The sheet metal is blackish area between the jaws.
            >
            > --CS
            >
            >> This was spot on even though they are too large to fit the slots on my
            >> table. I still haven't determined exactly what purpose the sheet metal
            >> plate serves... That might reveal itself if/when I remove the swivel base.
            >>
            >> One minor annoyance, is that the traveling 'nut' that is attached to the
            >> movable jaw, jams up when tightening the vice. I've found that I must
            >> reach around and lift the nut, before it clears some interfering surface
            >> in order to allow the jaws to finally close... I'm thinking this may be
            >> a result of some design feature left out, either to save cost or due to
            >> negligence...? Looking down the end of the vice, it appears that the
            >> nut is designed to be held up against the under side of the vice ways,
            >> but the intended device(s) weren't included when built/fabricated. So I
            >> placed the sheet metal plate under the nut, to serve as a temporary
            >> 'ramp' for the time being... I'm willing to wager this isn't a problem
            >> on the Kurt(?).
            >>
            >> Regards,
            >> -Vern
            >>
            >> Sent from my iPhone

          • Vern
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 30, 2013
              It is the 6" manual mill vise.  So far as I can tell, it appears to be a clone of the Kurt D688.  I might have purchase one of the smaller ones, had I paid closer attention to the specs...  Mine is a 70+ lb monster.  However, I do see that Kurt also offers a 10" version.  Placing that vise on my mill-drill, I think ought to be a bit like the brontosaurus ribs set on the side of the Flinstone's car when they go to the drive-in.  ;)

              -V.

              Sent from my iPhone

              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 30, 2013
                I got a vise that has a sheet metal plate that fits over the screw, between the ways of the vise to keep swarf from falling on the screw.
                Phil R

                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 1 6:38 AM
                  Thanks for the clarification.  I put it in place last night before beginning to mill an adapter for a DI, and it serves that function well.  Cleanup is much easier...

                  Regards,
                  -Vern

                  Sent from my iPhone

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 1 7:31 AM
                    If your vise is a Kurt clone, that sheet metal is indeed a cover for the screw. I advise you to toss it. Reason? We had a new genuine 6" Kurt with the sheet metal cover. As one of our guys removed it from the mill, it twisted in his hands. The cover, sticking out of the back of the vise, twisted with the vise and neatly nicked the vein in his wrist. While he was at medical  (fully equipped medical department with on site doctor and nurses), we took the cover out and threw it away, then had in-house hazmat come wipe up the blood.
                    According to Kurt, these covers should be cut to size for the part you will be machining. Since most hobby or job shop work is all kinds of sizes, the cover should be discarded.  I've never seen a vise of this type get jammed up with chips. I think it just makes it easier to clean up.

                    Be safe.

                    Jim (Just a guy who likes to build stuff)
                  • Vern