RE: [mill_drill] (unknown)

  • Rick Sparber
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 30, 2013
      Mario,

      I just returned from my shop. Took two 1-2-3 blocks and put them in my mill
      vise. Used a 1.25" wide parallel to hold them apart. The I used a
      telescoping gage to measure the distance by first compressing the gage. Then
      I set it at about a 10° angle and snuged the gage up. I then held one end of
      the gage so it could not slide around and moved the other end in an arc. Arc
      path is not important because we are dealing with a uniform gap between
      block.

      The gage compressed to the distance between surfaces and then fell out. A
      trial fit of the gage in this distance showed me it was a snug fit.

      Date: Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:23 am ((PDT))

      Mario,

      Say you have two parallel surfaces. You set the telescoping gage so it is
      slightly longer than the distance between the surface. The gage is lightly
      snug so it can be compressed. Holding one end steady against the first
      surface, you swing the other end to the opposite surface. It will make
      contact and start to compress. When it reaches the distance between
      surfaces, it will stop compressing. From then on, the gage will just fall
      out unless it is exactly perpendicular to the surface.

      So it seems to me that it would be easier as the diameter increases.

      By the way, I retracted the article because my theory about deviation from
      the diameter line was wrong.

      Rick

      Rick,
      Yes, so it would seem... but just imagine, as the gage start to
      compress because of the friction at the "free end" what keeps the
      "stationary end" from reacting (and moving) in the opposite direction?....
      and that is assuming everything is happening in ONE plane!?!?
      Please don't take this as a challenge to your theory. I am only
      pointing out that sometimes the "real world" get's a little more
      complicated, and maybe Günther has experienced these 'real world
      complications' more than some of us amateurs.
      By the way, I could not agree more with your questioning the old world
      authoritative, autocratic approach to teaching.... I agree that encouraging
      learning is far mor productive than demanding it!

      Günther,
      Whenever someone insists they are NOT an expert (meister), I tend to
      listen. It is the ones who insist they ARE an expert that I tend to
      question. The title is not always reflective of the insight.
      When I was a young engineer, a few years out of college, I found
      myself, on second shift, on the shop floor of one of the largest, most
      modern machine shops in the world. We were building the detail parts for the
      first F-15. I was called down to one of the layout tables because the lead
      machinist was about to machine the first F-15 centerline pylon fitting, and
      had some questions about the blueprint (yes, I said BLUEPRINT!) This was a
      part that would have taken a full week to machine on a modern 5 axis
      machining center (not to mention the months of programming time), that was
      so complex that the designer felt compelled to put a tri-metric view of the
      part just above the title block so people would have an idea of what this
      part should look like!
      When I got to the layout table I saw, sitting on this 3ft. x 6 ft.
      granite surface plate, a 6 page J size blueprint and a 12" x 16" x 28" hand
      forged titanium billet, painted blue with Dykem with a bunch of scribe lines
      on it, and a Brown & Sharpe height gage.
      I was introduced to a wonderful gentleman who had been thru the
      apprentice program, spent his time as a journeyman and then spent more time
      than I had been on this earth, as an "all around machinist" laying out and
      machining complex machined parts..... and he was going to ask ME some
      questions about how to interpret the drawing, because I was "The Engineer"
      !?!?
      Fortunately, I immediately realized that he was a heck of a lot
      smarter than I was, so together, over the next several weeks, we got that
      part made. And while I did answer a few of his questions, I learned a hell
      of a lot more from him than he did from me!!!

      As Rick says, "all of us is are lot smarter than any one of us" !!!

      Mario