Re: double check your drawings!

  • urrossum@att.net
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 27, 2013
      > They still design with tubes, there are very few 50,000 watt IC's.

      And at the other end of the power spectrum, there are still some splinter areas that are enamored of tubes. I don't really "get" the tube hi-fi thing; it seems to me that anything other than precise, linear amplification (possibly with tone controls/equalization) is essentially distortion, regardless of how musical it may be.

      However, in the actual music production context, that distortion can be quite useful. Enough so, in fact, that I'm now designing a couple of "boutique" tube pre-amps for the guitar and harmonica markets. I've learned a lot about the way tubes work over the last few weeks, and although I could probably model with reasonable accuracy the distortion of a starved-plate class-A stage using a DSP, it's just a lot easier to use the real thing. There's of course a certain cachet to doing it this way as well, and for the quantities I'm looking at there's still enough new-old-stock to make small production runs viable.

      Don't get me started on the (non-)merits of "hand-wiring", though...
      ~~
      Mark Moulding