Re: [mill_drill] double check your drawings!

  • MC Cason
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 25, 2013
      On 06/25/2013 11:24 PM, Vern wrote:
      > I had to do mine with a etch-a-sketch, a sharpie and a pie plate full
      > of ferric nitrate on a Bunsen burner. I had to build my ic's from
      > discrete devices, chicken toe nails and super glue... Then test it
      > all with a light bulb and a vacuum tube theremin. So there. ;)
      >
      > Sent from my iPhone

      Sounds like me, when I was in college.

      Pencil and paper, rub-on pads, a Sharpie, and hot Ferric Chloride in
      a glass dish, ICs were already fairly cheap, 555's aplenty, as well as
      logic gates. I never got into vacuum tubes, they were pretty much
      history by then...

      Designing on a Etch-a-Sketch... HMM, I'll have to try that some
      time. It may freak out my eldest granddaughter though.

      --
      MC Cason
      Associate Developer - Eagle3D, Created by Matthias Weißer
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 26, 2013
        Oops, yes I mistyped... Ferric nitrate will etch silver... Not sure if it acts on copper.

        My high school electronics instructor was analog-oriented, and tubes were still available, though rapidly being phased out of many low power, consumer electronics. Even though the pocket calculator was all the rage, we were still taught to use a slide-rule. Sadly perhaps, I still know more about the physics of vacuum tubes ( or valves ) , than I do the bipolar NPN/PNP.

        I admit the etch-a-sketch was a stretch... Might be worth the try, just to see her reaction. ;)

        -V

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Jun 25, 2013, at 9:56 PM, MC Cason <farmerboy1967@...> wrote:

        > On 06/25/2013 11:24 PM, Vern wrote:
        >> I had to do mine with a etch-a-sketch, a sharpie and a pie plate full
        >> of ferric nitrate on a Bunsen burner. I had to build my ic's from
        >> discrete devices, chicken toe nails and super glue... Then test it
        >> all with a light bulb and a vacuum tube theremin. So there. ;)
        >>
        >> Sent from my iPhone
        >
        > Sounds like me, when I was in college.
        >
        > Pencil and paper, rub-on pads, a Sharpie, and hot Ferric Chloride in
        > a glass dish, ICs were already fairly cheap, 555's aplenty, as well as
        > logic gates. I never got into vacuum tubes, they were pretty much
        > history by then...
        >
        > Designing on a Etch-a-Sketch... HMM, I'll have to try that some
        > time. It may freak out my eldest granddaughter though.
        >
        > --
        > MC Cason
        > Associate Developer - Eagle3D, Created by Matthias Weißer

      • Curt Wuollet
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 26, 2013
          Photoplotter files. At one time these drove an actual light plotter, now it's virtualized.

          Regards

          cww

          On 06/25/2013 10:50 PM, philr_77378@... wrote:

          "submit gerbers"   What's that?
          Phil R

          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 26, 2013
            They still design with tubes, there are very few 50,000 watt IC's.

            Regards

            cww

          • urrossum@att.net
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 27, 2013
              > They still design with tubes, there are very few 50,000 watt IC's.

              And at the other end of the power spectrum, there are still some splinter areas that are enamored of tubes. I don't really "get" the tube hi-fi thing; it seems to me that anything other than precise, linear amplification (possibly with tone controls/equalization) is essentially distortion, regardless of how musical it may be.

              However, in the actual music production context, that distortion can be quite useful. Enough so, in fact, that I'm now designing a couple of "boutique" tube pre-amps for the guitar and harmonica markets. I've learned a lot about the way tubes work over the last few weeks, and although I could probably model with reasonable accuracy the distortion of a starved-plate class-A stage using a DSP, it's just a lot easier to use the real thing. There's of course a certain cachet to doing it this way as well, and for the quantities I'm looking at there's still enough new-old-stock to make small production runs viable.

              Don't get me started on the (non-)merits of "hand-wiring", though...
              ~~
              Mark Moulding