Re: [mill_drill] double check your drawings!

  • Jerry Durand
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 25, 2013
      g-code files like any CNC machine uses.  In this case they operate a plotter to make a film negative that's used to etch the boards.

      On 06/25/2013 08:50 PM, philr_77378@... wrote:
      "submit gerbers"   What's that?
      Phil R

      tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
      Skype:  jerrydurand
    • Vern
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 25, 2013
         I had to do mine with a etch-a-sketch, a sharpie and a pie plate full of ferric nitrate on a Bunsen burner.   I had to build my ic's from discrete devices, chicken toe nails and super glue...  Then test it all with a light bulb and a vacuum tube theremin.  So there.  ;)

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Jun 25, 2013, at 8:17 PM, Curt Wuollet <wideopen1@...> wrote:

        You guys have it easy, lot's of the boards I did were done with tape and rubylith on a large scale then photoreduced. A cad screen is much easier on the eyes than working on a light table. And I had to take the ICs apart before probing them or doing voltage contrast on the SEM. CDC had their own little chip factory. I must say that cad has made it a lot easier and much less error prone making boards. It's nice to just submit gerbers and get boards back. It was a really big deal getting boards before.

        Regards

        cww

        On 06/25/2013 12:26 AM, MC Cason wrote:

        On 06/24/2013 11:39 PM, Jerry Durand wrote:

        > On 06/24/2013 09:24 PM, MC Cason wrote:
        > >
        > > The bad part is, that I programmed many of the components that I use,
        > > but I did not program the chips, somebody else had already done them. I
        > > now have every component that I use dimensioned correctly, and as close
        > > to looking like real world parts, as I could possibly make them.
        > >
        > > I have a few SMD components, and I have some 0603, and 0805 parts,
        > > which aren't too bad to work with. 0201 would probably drive me
        > > insane! I would have to upgrade all of my magnifiers to a vision
        > > system, to be able to work and test at that scale. Using BGA, I assume
        > > that you X-ray your boards?
        > >

        > My wife does the PC board CAD. She doesn't worry about graphic pretty
        > of the parts, just accurate outlines and pin size/placement. That
        > particular board was 14 layers with I think 4 different drilling
        > operations (two of them laser).

        Now I understand the traces dead ending. I've never dealt with
        anything that complicated. The last time I had to deal with multi layer
        PCBs was in the mid 90's. Looking at that board, it looks like I was
        lucky that I skipped the really extreme stuff.

        > The boards are x-rayed when we have to
        > use BGA for customers, but for our own smaller stuff (without BGA, just
        > QFN) we hand solder them here. 0402 is the smallest I'd like to hand
        > solder but I have done 0201 a few times. 0603 is our standard part.

        I can deal with things as small as 0603, if I have my magnification
        where I can see clearly. Anything smaller is a pain.

        > One trick my wife learned long ago, don't use ANY standard library
        > parts, there's almost always something wrong with them. She generally
        > makes up a new library for each new board, only pulling parts from her
        > other libraries if she can verify that they match current data sheets.

        After that debacle, that's exactly what I do now. Not working in the
        electronics field in many years, caused a lot of rust to set in :)

        > At least I'm no longer probing bare wafers under a 1500 power microscope.

        I hated doing that. Luckily where I worked, we had a really nice
        vision system, that would clearly zoom in on a 30 mil area, and fill up
        a (10"?) CRT. That worked for most of what we did, but not for
        everything. I can still remember having to polish stripper feet under a
        microscope, because the scratches had to be incredibly small, and they
        could not cross completely across a vacuum port wall.

        One of the machines that I maintained, and the one that needed the
        most work, was a CNC sandblaster, that cut precision holes through a
        silicon wafer. We had a tight tolerance on holes, so it had to be
        adjusted constantly.

        --
        MC Cason
        Associate Developer - Eagle3D, Created by Matthias Weißer

      • MC Cason
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 25, 2013
          On 06/25/2013 11:24 PM, Vern wrote:
          > I had to do mine with a etch-a-sketch, a sharpie and a pie plate full
          > of ferric nitrate on a Bunsen burner. I had to build my ic's from
          > discrete devices, chicken toe nails and super glue... Then test it
          > all with a light bulb and a vacuum tube theremin. So there. ;)
          >
          > Sent from my iPhone

          Sounds like me, when I was in college.

          Pencil and paper, rub-on pads, a Sharpie, and hot Ferric Chloride in
          a glass dish, ICs were already fairly cheap, 555's aplenty, as well as
          logic gates. I never got into vacuum tubes, they were pretty much
          history by then...

          Designing on a Etch-a-Sketch... HMM, I'll have to try that some
          time. It may freak out my eldest granddaughter though.

          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 26, 2013
            Oops, yes I mistyped... Ferric nitrate will etch silver... Not sure if it acts on copper.

            My high school electronics instructor was analog-oriented, and tubes were still available, though rapidly being phased out of many low power, consumer electronics. Even though the pocket calculator was all the rage, we were still taught to use a slide-rule. Sadly perhaps, I still know more about the physics of vacuum tubes ( or valves ) , than I do the bipolar NPN/PNP.

            I admit the etch-a-sketch was a stretch... Might be worth the try, just to see her reaction. ;)

            -V

            Sent from my iPhone

            On Jun 25, 2013, at 9:56 PM, MC Cason <farmerboy1967@...> wrote:

            > On 06/25/2013 11:24 PM, Vern wrote:
            >> I had to do mine with a etch-a-sketch, a sharpie and a pie plate full
            >> of ferric nitrate on a Bunsen burner. I had to build my ic's from
            >> discrete devices, chicken toe nails and super glue... Then test it
            >> all with a light bulb and a vacuum tube theremin. So there. ;)
            >>
            >> Sent from my iPhone
            >
            > Sounds like me, when I was in college.
            >
            > Pencil and paper, rub-on pads, a Sharpie, and hot Ferric Chloride in
            > a glass dish, ICs were already fairly cheap, 555's aplenty, as well as
            > logic gates. I never got into vacuum tubes, they were pretty much
            > history by then...
            >
            > Designing on a Etch-a-Sketch... HMM, I'll have to try that some
            > time. It may freak out my eldest granddaughter though.
            >
            > --
            > MC Cason
            > Associate Developer - Eagle3D, Created by Matthias Weißer

          • Curt Wuollet
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 26, 2013
              Photoplotter files. At one time these drove an actual light plotter, now it's virtualized.

              Regards

              cww

              On 06/25/2013 10:50 PM, philr_77378@... wrote:

              "submit gerbers"   What's that?
              Phil R

              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 26, 2013
                They still design with tubes, there are very few 50,000 watt IC's.

                Regards

                cww

              • urrossum@att.net
                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 27, 2013
                  > They still design with tubes, there are very few 50,000 watt IC's.

                  And at the other end of the power spectrum, there are still some splinter areas that are enamored of tubes. I don't really "get" the tube hi-fi thing; it seems to me that anything other than precise, linear amplification (possibly with tone controls/equalization) is essentially distortion, regardless of how musical it may be.

                  However, in the actual music production context, that distortion can be quite useful. Enough so, in fact, that I'm now designing a couple of "boutique" tube pre-amps for the guitar and harmonica markets. I've learned a lot about the way tubes work over the last few weeks, and although I could probably model with reasonable accuracy the distortion of a starved-plate class-A stage using a DSP, it's just a lot easier to use the real thing. There's of course a certain cachet to doing it this way as well, and for the quantities I'm looking at there's still enough new-old-stock to make small production runs viable.

                  Don't get me started on the (non-)merits of "hand-wiring", though...
                  ~~
                  Mark Moulding