Re: [mill_drill] Undersized (5/8") drill bits...

  • Druid Noibn
    Message 1 of 76 , Jun 24, 2013
      Hi GP,

      Indeed I know <smile>.  I understand well "Meister"

      Several of my colleaguers there were very old-school - if one was willing to listen and learn, much was to be gained.  Alas, I moved on to other companies (I always wanted to do more & better) and went through a few fields, gaining a lot of expereince.

      Today - I am in front of a classroom - but I keep my shop for fun.

      Be well,
      DBN

      Message 76 of 76 , Jun 28, 2013
        BS328 part 1 (Specification for twist drills), which is equivalent to a number of ISO standards, gives the cutting diameter of a drill as measured across the lands at the outer corners as h8. Back taper is between 0.0002mm and 0.0008mm per millimetre linear distance from the outer corner towards the shank. The total back taper not to exceed 0.25mm. Below 6.0mm back taper is not a requirement.

        I imagine that all other drill standards will be the same as, or very similar, with regards to these dimensions. Just divide by 25.4 for inch equivalents and you should be close to USA standards.

        Martin