RE: [mill_drill] Undersized (5/8") drill bits...

  • Rick Sparber
    Message 1 of 76 , Jun 22, 2013

      Amen Corey!

      Rick

      From: mill_drill@yahoogroups.com [mailto:mill_drill@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Corey Renner
      Sent: Saturday, June 22, 2013 5:30 PM
      To: mill_drill@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [mill_drill] Undersized (5/8") drill bits...

      Drills are not supposed to be the exact size of the hole that they will create, they are typically a hair under.  Numbered drills are usually .0005-.0015 under.    Gauge the hole that is being created, not the diameter of the bit, before you jump to any conclusions.

      cheers,

      On Sat, Jun 22, 2013 at 5:09 PM, Vern <n7gtb@...> wrote:

      I just measured the bit that I paid a higher price for, with the only 'precision' instrument that I have at the moment (i.e., Mitutoyo dial caliper # 505-626).  Nearly as I could measure, it is 0.6235 across the cutting edges, and 0.6225 across the flutes midway up. Finally, at the opposite end of the cutters, it measured 0.6215".

      The bit is stamped "USA", and bears the capital 'M' for Morse Cutting Tools.  The plastic yellow box it came in, reads: "MORSE CUTTING TOOLS". On the next line is: "LIST:1424S 5/8 2-TONE S&D"

      -V.
      Sent from my iPhone

      On Jun 22, 2013, at 3:04 PM, Rick Sparber <rgsparber@...> wrote:

      GP,

      I agree. Buy the best quality you can afford AND keep them sharp. I use a Drill Doctor which centers the point. An off center point will cause the drill to cut oversized.

      Rick

      On Jun 22, 2013, at 2:46 PM, Guenther Paul <paulguenter@...> wrote:

      Well all i can say buy good bits. Nor form HF or china. There are American made bits and are on size. I had some china bits they don't even drill hard wood don't know how i git them but they are in the junk  now

      GP

      Message 76 of 76 , Jun 28, 2013
        BS328 part 1 (Specification for twist drills), which is equivalent to a number of ISO standards, gives the cutting diameter of a drill as measured across the lands at the outer corners as h8. Back taper is between 0.0002mm and 0.0008mm per millimetre linear distance from the outer corner towards the shank. The total back taper not to exceed 0.25mm. Below 6.0mm back taper is not a requirement.

        I imagine that all other drill standards will be the same as, or very similar, with regards to these dimensions. Just divide by 25.4 for inch equivalents and you should be close to USA standards.

        Martin