Re: [mill_drill] changing speeds with two belts and three pulleys

  • Curt Wuollet
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 21, 2013
      How you move the belts makes a big difference. Always shift the end getting smaller first. and having the center pivot free helps. And if it's still too tight, get the next size longer belt. A longer rod for more motor travel helps too. I also put lever handles on the center pulley bolts, the kind where you swing the lever and if  you need more, you pull up on the lever for a new bite. But yes, a VFD and 3ph motor would be nice. And I do admire the Bridgeport variable speed setup. I've been running the daylights out of one for a month or so now at work. It does make the milldrill seem a bit primitive. But I'd need excavation equipment to get one in the basement.

      Regards

      cww

      On 06/21/2013 04:49 PM, davidhallsten wrote:

      sheesh, hard on the fingers. I have a rong fu 30, same as many others with the revolving center pulley set up. directions say, loosen the motor, then loosen the center swivel pulleys and move belts as required. crap, my motor does not move enuf to make a difference, and its really a challenge for an old guy to get the first belt off. I was thinking that someone has maybe made a custom prybar or something similar to make it easier. . . .. have they ? or is this just part of the suffering on e must go thru as one ages ? :)