Re: Spectacular motor failure

  • Glenn
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 19, 2013
      Craig -

      AR Tools is coming through for you. A 3 phase motor and the VFD make a really nice combo.

      I posted a few photos of my mill (album is Glenn's Enco ZX-7045) and you can see the mount and info plate for the stock motor. It's a YL-90L-4 with the shaft turned down to 19mm (.748 by 40mm length with a 6mm key. The 4 mounting bolts are on a 164.5 (??) circle and the locating flange is 130mm diameter by 3mm high.

      The Leeson motor I used is a 121063.00. Here's a link:

      http://www.leeson.com/leeson/searchproduct.do;jsessionid=67438E5CF2E41A5EE7C8A202FDC1B7C6?invoke=viewProductDetails&motorNo=121063.00&productType=

      The adapter is 5/8 inch 6061 and the only trick is that the bolts that mount it to the mill are held captive by the motor. It takes a while to mount the motor and adapter a sixth of a turn at a time.

      If you get a metric class motor the adapter shouldn't be necessary, but you might have to turn down the shaft. I did that myself and it wasn't a big deal. Just disassemble the motor and mount the armature between centers and turn away. Cutting the keyway could be a problem if you don't have access to another mill. I help out in the machining class at the local community college, so I took it to class.

      The links that Ed posted will give you a lot of information. I read them many times before I made the swap.

      If you have any questions, just give a holler.

      Glenn

      --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, k7cej@... wrote:

      > Glenn:
      >
      > Thanks for the very kind offer. Fortunately, the vendor, AR Tools of
      > Spokane, WA, has agreed to buy a new Leeson 3 Phase as a replacement. (I
      > will add the VFD.)
      >
      > I am interested in the adaption process you describe. What size were the
      > old and new motors you used? My blown-up motor is a 2 HP 90 series
      > metric motor (YL90L-4 if I remember correctly) flange mount. The Leeson
      > I am considering is also a 2 HP, 90 series metric motor with a B5 flange
      > mount (and also B3 feet). I haven't pulled the old motor yet but I am
      > expecting the shafts to be the same. Am I going to be disappointed?
      >
      > Craig

    • svsequoia_pdx
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 20, 2013

        Druid:

        I am out of town right now but will pull the toasted motor as soon as I get back into the shop, and check the flange and shaft dimensions.  Some of the posts on this subject from 2009 seem to be referring to belt drive units that have a smaller than normal (24mm) shaft.  My mill has a 6 speed geared head.  The truth is out their...and I will find it as soon as I can.

        Craig

        On 2013-06-19 14:36, Druid Noibn wrote:

        Hi,

        Check the shaft size it might not be standard for the sized motor.

        Be well,
        DBN