Metal cutting circular saw

  • Jerry Durand
    Message 1 of 26 , Jun 15, 2013
      I have to make an enclosure per inspector mandate out of 10 gauge sheet
      steel. The steel is too big to fit any of our saws and paying a shop to
      cut it would be $$$ so we ordered this Harbor Freight saw
      http://www.harborfreight.com/7-1-4-quarter-inch-metal-cutting-circular-saw-8897.html
      We got a triple discount on it (under $60 delivered) and it has good
      ratings, so it can't be too bad.

      Neither of us has used one of these, anything I should know on
      operation/precautions?

      tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
      Skype: jerrydurand
    • Bill Armstrong
      Message 2 of 26 , Jun 15, 2013
        I've cut sheet metal with a circular saw, but always thinner stuff, 20-28 gage. Not sure how it'll act with 10 gage.

        Set yourself up where the metal is supported well, so it can't pinch the blade as you cut, and don't have anything important, like your body, directly behind it. Kick back can happen, even with fine tooth blades, and you don't want to be in the line of fire.

        Bill

        To: mill_drill@yahoogroups.com
        From: jdurand@...
        Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2013 10:35:37 -0700
        Subject: [mill_drill] Metal cutting circular saw

        I have to make an enclosure per inspector mandate out of 10 gauge sheet
        steel. The steel is too big to fit any of our saws and paying a shop to
        cut it would be $$$ so we ordered this Harbor Freight saw
        http://www.harborfreight.com/7-1-4-quarter-inch-metal-cutting-circular-saw-8897.html
        We got a triple discount on it (under $60 delivered) and it has good
        ratings, so it can't be too bad.

        Neither of us has used one of these, anything I should know on
        operation/precautions?

        tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
        Skype: jerrydurand

      • Starlight Tool Services Ltd
        Message 3 of 26 , Jun 15, 2013
          Jerry

          I use the Milwaukee 6370-21 version regularly, and have cut up to 1/4" plate with it.  I originally got it to cut some HSS tubing, which needed a 7/8" wide slot down the full length of the tube, basically cutting out the seam where it was welded together to make a long heavy C Channel, but have not gotten to that project yet.  Meanwhile all sorts of other jobs have come up and it works reallly well.  I set up an edge guide that is clamped to the sheet to be cut, allowing for base offset and depending on which way, the blade allowance, then slowly walk the saw along the cut line.  It leaves a smooth straight edge, almost like a milled finish.

          I got a venturii air blower that I am going to hook up so that it can switch between this saw, the metal cutting bandsaw and the cold cut saw, (eventually)

          Normal disclaimers, Sparks although not red hot, can be very warm, so watch out for them, and like any spinning blade, care must be taken not to pinch the blade, or cause a kick back, although to date, I have not had any even attempt at kicking back as the control over the saw was excellent.

          Walter

            Message 5 of 26 , Jun 15, 2013
              Jerry,
                 How did you get a triple discount?
              Carl H

              Message 6 of 26 , Jun 15, 2013
                On 06/15/2013 03:46 PM, Carl Hollopeter wrote:
                Jerry,
                   How did you get a triple discount?
                Carl H

                It was on sale plus I used a 20% coupon plus they apparently don't charge sales tax on web orders.  Not sure how they explain having stores here, maybe harborfreight.com is an independent company in a tax-free state.

                It's like the 3D printer we bought, the office for the distributor is about a mile from here.  By buying from Amazon the distributor shipped it to Phoenix and Amazon reboxed it and sent it back here.  Free shipping, no sales tax.  Oh, and no interest deferred payment.  For buying filament we opened a resale account with the distributor so we can drive over there for supplies.  I guess we could sell printers too, if someone wanted to buy from us.

                Message 7 of 26 , Jun 15, 2013
                  On 06/15/2013 03:52 PM, Jerry Durand wrote:
                  It was on sale plus I used a 20% coupon plus they apparently don't charge sales tax on web orders.  Not sure how they explain having stores here, maybe harborfreight.com is an independent company in a tax-free state.
                  I just looked and the saw is still on sale, but $20 more than the sale price I got it for.  Not counting the coupon.

                  Message 8 of 26 , Jun 15, 2013
                    Yep, I checked also, that’s why I was wondering about the discount. Thanks for replying.
                    Carl H

                    Message 9 of 26 , Jun 15, 2013
                      Hi Jerry,

                      Interesting that "no tax" issue. The law varies with the state and can be a bit complicated. A state that does charge sales tax is nice for their state residents. However, if the same company as a presence in other states, then the state in which they have the presence may (will) demand that they act as their agents and collect sales tax as appropriate.

                      The definition of “presence” also varies a bit – for most states it means that the company has an agent in the state. Whereas for some states merely entering the state, constitutes presence. Always a fun topic.

                      For HF – they may be threading on dangerous grounds – if the claim is that the stores are independent of the on-line operations (a claim I hear from one of their stores managers...), a point could be made. That said, one might find their use of coupons, valid in stores, on-line and by telephone would argue against such claims.

                      Under the trivia topic - we are aware that if our state has a sales tax and we buy a product out-of-state for which no sales tax was collected, we are obligated by law to pay the sales tax to our state. I'll save you from the rest of the story...

                      Of course, we leave such matters to the corporate counsels and state officials.

                      I am pleased with the feedback on the metal cutting saw – I’ll have to look into it – THANKS!

                      Kind regards,
                      DBN

                      Message 10 of 26 , Jun 15, 2013
                        On 06/15/2013 07:12 PM, Druid Noibn wrote:
                        > Under the trivia topic - we are aware that if our state has a sales tax and we buy a product out-of-state for which no sales tax was collected, we are obligated by law to pay the sales tax to our state. I'll save you from the rest of the story...
                        Yes, our company has a resale permit and here it's called Use Tax. We
                        do submit that as necessary (sometimes we just sell items to ourselves
                        to simplify paperwork).

                        Even if we buy goods in one part of the state and move them to another
                        part, we're supposed to pay the taxes for the new destination, but I've
                        never seen that enforced in the 32 years we've been in business.

                        > Of course, we leave such matters to the corporate counsels and state officials.
                        With our design services, our tax board determined ONE of all the CAD
                        files we deliver is taxable. For a while we determined that file cost
                        $12 for all customers. Now we give that file away for free to simplify
                        the paperwork.

                        Message 11 of 26 , Jun 16, 2013
                          Hi Jerry,

                          Yes, how "we" address the tax situation is intersting; to me anyway.

                          I recall that one of my clients decided that it was far simpler to just pay state sales tax (when appropriate) on all out-of-state purchases.

                          As to enforcement - there are so many "views" on such issues, it boggles the mind

                          OK, no more from me - back to mill/drills

                          Be well,
                          DBN

                          > On 06/15/2013 07:12 PM, Druid Noibn wrote:
                          >
                          > > Under the trivia topic - we are aware that if our state
                          > has a sales tax and we buy a product out-of-state for which
                          > no sales tax was collected, we are obligated by law to pay
                          > the sales tax to our state. I'll save you from the rest
                          > of the story...
                          >
                          > Yes, our company has a resale permit and here it's
                          > called Use Tax. We
                          >
                          > do submit that as necessary (sometimes we just sell items to
                          > ourselves
                          >
                          > to simplify paperwork).
                          >

                          > Even if we buy goods in one part of the state and move them
                          > to another
                          >
                          > part, we're supposed to pay the taxes for the new
                          > destination, but I've
                          >
                          > never seen that enforced in the 32 years we've been in
                          > business.
                          >

                          > > Of course, we leave such matters to the corporate
                          > counsels and state officials.
                          >
                          > With our design services, our tax board determined ONE of
                          > all the CAD
                          >
                          > files we deliver is taxable. For a while we determined that
                          > file cost
                          >
                          > $12 for all customers. Now we give that file away for free
                          > to simplify
                          >
                          > the paperwork.
                          >

                          > --
                          >
                          > Jerry Durand, Durand Interstellar, Inc.
                          > www.interstellar.com
                          >
                          > tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
                          >
                          > Skype: jerrydurand

                        • jiminwis
                          Message 12 of 26 , Jun 16, 2013
                            --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Jerry Durand <jdurand@...> wrote:

                            > Even if we buy goods in one part of the state and move them to another
                            > part, we're supposed to pay the taxes for the new destination, but I've
                            > never seen that enforced in the 32 years we've been in business.
                            >
                            > > Of course, we leave such matters to the corporate counsels and state officials.

                            My wife did income taxes for many years, and saw people prosecuted for avoiding this "use tax", the sales tax owed for items brought without paying the sales tax on it. We keep track of our online and other purchases and pay the use tax when we file our state income tax. Technically, you are probably guilty of tax evasion if you do what many people do to avoid sales tax, and I suspect that this will be more closely examined by the IRS in the future because of all the controversy about online sales avoiding taxes.
                            But this is getting away from milling machine discussions.

                            Jim
                          • Jerry Durand
                            Message 13 of 26 , Jun 18, 2013
                              The saw arrived today, can't believe they shipped it in the retail box
                              with no outer box. Even more unbelievable is nothing is broken or bent!

                              The saw looks fairly sturdy for an HF item. I took the front cover off
                              that acts as a chip tray and when I went to put it back I had to use a
                              knife to life the edge of the plastic enclosure that fits a bit tight.
                              May have to edit that piece of the enclosure.

                              It has a shaft lock to make getting the blade off easier and comes with
                              spare brushes for the motor.

                              It says to empty the chip tray you unlock and fold down a flap on the
                              back of the saw (the motor side). I can open the flap but can't see how
                              that gives me access to the chip tray, there's only a small slot there.
                              Guess I'll have to try it. Seems a door on the side of the saw away
                              from the motor would be easier, open and shake it into a bin.

                              Overall, the quality looks decent. I'll try it on some scrap in a bit
                              and post results.

                              Message 14 of 26 , Jun 18, 2013
                                Same saw for more $ but has a video
                                http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200313572_200313572

                                Message 15 of 26 , Jun 18, 2013
                                  Hi Jerry,

                                  Thanks for the postings and comments. The saw seems to be a repackaged standard 7 1/4" circular saw - any other differences besides the side guard?

                                  Take care,
                                  DBN

                                  > The saw arrived today, can't believe they
                                  > shipped it in the retail box
                                  >
                                  > with no outer box. Even more unbelievable is nothing is
                                  > broken or bent!
                                  >

                                  > The saw looks fairly sturdy for an HF item. I took the
                                  > front cover off
                                  >
                                  > that acts as a chip tray and when I went to put it back I
                                  > had to use a
                                  >
                                  > knife to life the edge of the plastic enclosure that fits a
                                  > bit tight.
                                  >
                                  > May have to edit that piece of the enclosure.
                                  >

                                  > It has a shaft lock to make getting the blade off easier and
                                  > comes with
                                  >
                                  > spare brushes for the motor.
                                  >

                                  > It says to empty the chip tray you unlock and fold down a
                                  > flap on the
                                  >
                                  > back of the saw (the motor side). I can open the flap but
                                  > can't see how
                                  >
                                  > that gives me access to the chip tray, there's only a
                                  > small slot there.
                                  >
                                  > Guess I'll have to try it. Seems a door on the side of
                                  > the saw away
                                  >
                                  > from the motor would be easier, open and shake it into a
                                  > bin.
                                  >

                                  > Overall, the quality looks decent. I'll try it on some
                                  > scrap in a bit
                                  >
                                  > and post results.
                                  >

                                  > --
                                  >
                                  > Jerry Durand, Durand Interstellar, Inc.
                                  > www.interstellar.com
                                  >
                                  > tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
                                  >
                                  > Skype: jerrydurand

                                • Jerry Durand
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jun 18, 2013
                                    The support around the blade is beefier, you have to take apart a couple
                                    of layers to change the blade. There's metal where a normal saw would
                                    be plastic. It feels bigger and sturdier than a normal circular saw,
                                    more like a worm drive.

                                    And it cuts steel like butter! Didn't hardly seem to notice it was
                                    cutting this 4mm thick angle.

                                    http://interstellar.com/temp/Test-1.JPG
                                    http://interstellar.com/temp/Test-2.JPG

                                    The wobble on the entry of the cut was me, it was clamped in a vise on
                                    the mill which is a bit high for holding a saw.

                                    tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
                                    Skype: jerrydurand
                                  • Corey Renner

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Jun 18, 2013
                                          Druid,
                                             I ordered the saw also, I looked at the specs beforehand and determined the major difference to be RPMs, A regular “Skil-type” saw runs at 5500 rpm whereas the metal cutting operates at 3500 rpm.
                                          Carl H

                                          Sent: Tuesday, June 18, 2013 1:02 PM

                                          Hi Jerry,

                                          Thanks for the postings and comments. The saw seems to be a repackaged standard 7 1/4" circular saw - any other differences besides the side guard?

                                          Take care,
                                          DBN

                                          href="mailto:mill_drill%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:mill_drill%40yahoogroups.com

                                          Date: Tuesday, June 18, 2013, 1:19 PM

                                          > The saw arrived
                                          today, can't believe they
                                          > shipped it in the retail box

                                          with no outer box. Even more unbelievable is nothing is
                                          > broken or
                                          bent!

                                          > The saw looks fairly sturdy for an HF
                                          item. I took the
                                          > front cover off
                                          >
                                          > that acts as a chip
                                          tray and when I went to put it back I
                                          > had to use a

                                          knife to life the edge of the plastic enclosure that fits a
                                          > bit tight.
                                          >
                                          > May have to edit that piece of the enclosure.
                                          >

                                          > It has a shaft lock to make getting the blade off easier
                                          and
                                          > comes with
                                          >
                                          > spare brushes for the motor.
                                          >

                                          > It says to empty the chip tray you unlock and fold
                                          down a
                                          > flap on the
                                          >
                                          > back of the saw (the motor side). I
                                          can open the flap but
                                          > can't see how
                                          >
                                          > that gives me
                                          access to the chip tray, there's only a
                                          > small slot there.
                                          >
                                          > Guess I'll have to try it. Seems a door on the side of
                                          > the saw
                                          away

                                          > from the motor would be easier, open and shake it into
                                          > bin.
                                          >

                                          > Overall, the quality looks
                                          decent. I'll try it on some
                                          > scrap in a bit
                                          >
                                          > and post
                                          results.

                                          > --
                                          >
                                          > Jerry Durand,
                                          Durand Interstellar, Inc.
                                          > www.interstellar.com
                                          >
                                          > tel: +1
                                          408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886

                                          > Skype: jerrydurand

                                        • Corey Renner

                                            Message 21 of 26 , Jun 18, 2013
                                              I wonder if one of those plug in speed reducers can work with this saw to slow it down even more.  The 3500 is still pretty fast for the thicker pieces.

                                                 I ordered the saw also, I looked at the specs beforehand and determined the major difference to be RPMs, A regular “Skil-type” saw runs at 5500 rpm whereas the metal cutting operates at 3500 rpm.
                                              Carl H

                                              with no outer box. Even more unbelievable is nothing is
                                              > broken or
                                              bent!

                                              > The saw looks fairly sturdy for an HF
                                              item. I took the
                                              > front cover off
                                              >
                                              > that acts as a chip
                                              tray and when I went to put it back I
                                              > had to use a

                                              knife to life the edge of the plastic enclosure that fits a
                                              > bit tight.
                                              >
                                              > May have to edit that piece of the enclosure.
                                              >

                                              > It has a shaft lock to make getting the blade off easier
                                              and
                                              > comes with
                                              >
                                              > spare brushes for the motor.
                                              >

                                              > It says to empty the chip tray you unlock and fold
                                              down a
                                              > flap on the
                                              >
                                              > back of the saw (the motor side). I
                                              can open the flap but
                                              > can't see how
                                              >
                                              > that gives me
                                              access to the chip tray, there's only a
                                              > small slot there.
                                              >
                                              > Guess I'll have to try it. Seems a door on the side of
                                              > the saw
                                              away

                                              > from the motor would be easier, open and shake it into
                                              > bin.
                                              >

                                              > Overall, the quality looks
                                              decent. I'll try it on some
                                              > scrap in a bit
                                              >
                                              > and post
                                              results.

                                              > --
                                              >
                                              > Jerry Durand,
                                              Durand Interstellar, Inc.
                                              > www.interstellar.com
                                              >
                                              > tel: +1
                                              408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886

                                              > Skype: jerrydurand

                                            • Jerry Durand
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Jun 18, 2013
                                                It's a brush type motor, so no reason it shouldn't work.  I wouldn't slow it down too much, you could overheat the motor since the fan slows too.

                                                On 06/18/2013 12:29 PM, js1160@... wrote:
                                                I wonder if one of those plug in speed reducers can work with this saw to slow it down even more.  The 3500 is still pretty fast for the thicker pieces.

                                                tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
                                                Skype:  jerrydurand

                                              • Lynn Kasdorf
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Jun 18, 2013
                                                  For cutting aluminum, I have a monster Walker Turner radial arm saw. VERY massive and powerful. I run a 12" carbide blade with a LOT of teeth- something like 100, and very little rake (or whatever it is called). The cutting edge is almost square to the material it is cutting- the opposite of aggressive.

                                                  I've only cut aluminum with it, but it worked very, very well. I cut some 1" plate stock, and some 1/8" sheet stock. The saw didn't even notice it was doing anything- just went through it like butter. And being a radial arm saw, it pulls the work against the fence and there is no kickback.

                                                  I've not tried steel, but I think it might work, especially if I used a mist cooler. It does spin very fast and would probably get hot quickly.

                                                  When doing this stuff, I wear full face shield and hearing protection and stand off-axis.

                                                  Lynn Kasdorf

                                                • Edgar
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Jun 18, 2013
                                                    Lynn, I wouldn't try your saw on steel. Aluminum cuts at much higher cutting speeds than steel.

                                                    Orlin in SC/USA

                                                    --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Lynn Kasdorf <kasdorfmisc@...> wrote:

                                                    > For cutting aluminum, I have a monster Walker Turner radial arm saw.
                                                    > VERY massive and powerful. I run a 12" carbide blade with a LOT of
                                                    > teeth- something like 100, and very little rake (or whatever it is
                                                    > called). The cutting edge is almost square to the material it is
                                                    > cutting- the opposite of aggressive.
                                                    >
                                                    > I've only cut aluminum with it, but it worked very, very well. I cut
                                                    > some 1" plate stock, and some 1/8" sheet stock. The saw didn't even
                                                    > notice it was doing anything- just went through it like butter. And
                                                    > being a radial arm saw, it pulls the work against the fence and there is
                                                    > no kickback.
                                                    >
                                                    > I've not tried steel, but I think it might work, especially if I used a
                                                    > mist cooler. It does spin very fast and would probably get hot quickly.
                                                    >
                                                    > When doing this stuff, I wear full face shield and hearing protection
                                                    > and stand off-axis.
                                                    >
                                                    > Lynn Kasdorf

                                                  • Druid Noibn
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Jun 18, 2013
                                                      Hi Carl,

                                                      Thanks - good to know.

                                                      Take care,
                                                      DBN

                                                      > determined the major difference to be RPMs, A regular
                                                      > “Skil-type” saw runs at
                                                      > 5500 rpm whereas the metal cutting operates at 3500
                                                      > rpm.
                                                      > Carl H

                                                    • Druid Noibn
                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Jun 18, 2013