RE: [mill_drill] speed and feed

  • Bill Armstrong
    Message 1 of 16 , May 19, 2013
    Here's an excel file I downloaded from somewhere.

    Been using it for quite a few years.

    Bill

    To: mill_drill@yahoogroups.com
    From: paulguenter@...
    Date: Sun, 19 May 2013 11:19:24 -0700
    Subject: Re: [mill_drill] speed and feed

    Vern
    You can google pulley speeds. You have a motor pulley, a center idler pulley and the pulley on the quill i assume they are 4 step or maybe 5 step. You will find charts and you can figure it. I believe it would be best if you try the motor rpm is also figured in and the dia of the pulleys.Its fairly simple I have a machinery hand book that's where i would go. If you have problems let me know i will figure it for you.

    GP

    Message 2 of 16 , May 19, 2013
      Vern,
         Take a look here, $60.00 and a few hours will take care of your RPM questions, no calculations needed, (also will show surface ft per min). (No connection to him just know a good thing when I see it) http://www.machtach.com/
      Carl H

      Message 3 of 16 , May 19, 2013
        There is a cheaper one on e-bay for $20.00 or less, hand held

        GP

        Message 4 of 16 , May 19, 2013
          I use one of the cheap $20 - 30 hand held tach, and it works ok.  On my mill, the problem with it is that there is no good spot to permanently attach the reflective tape to get a good reading.  I put the reflective tape on a spare end mill holder and stuck that into the spindle to get a good RPM reading at each gear range.  From that I was able to make a new chart up .  My mill has a VFD, so I made a column for 30, 60, and 75 hz.

          Message 5 of 16 , May 19, 2013
            Vern
            take  a look at this link, i would do the math and figure out the speed
            GP

               Take a look here, $60.00 and a few hours will take care of your RPM questions, no calculations needed, (also will show surface ft per min). (No connection to him just know a good thing when I see it) http://www.machtach.com/
            Carl H

            I am using a 1/2 dia end mill 4 flute to cut aluminum
            how many rpms should I run
            How deep of cut can I make
            how thick of and end cut can I make
            thanks
            Fred Q

            Fred
          • Malcolm Parker-Lisberg
            Message 6 of 16 , May 19, 2013
              I use a bicycle speedometer set to cadence mode, only cost $5

              Malcolm

              Mene, mene, tekel, upharsin
              The writing is on the wall.

              Message 7 of 16 , May 19, 2013
                Hi,

                Wow, the price went up a bit - I recall it was $40 and...well if it works for you great.

                If we ignore cutting optimization for production, does anyone need SFM?  Most live with fixed speed or possibly low, med and hi settings - but it is nice to see the digits.

                Lots of alternates on eBay, some already notes, including an electronic speedometer.  One could also look at engine rpm readouts (inductive coupling of the spark plug wires). A slight mod to the input circuit and you have a inexpensive digital rpm readout.

                Thanks for the reminder of the machtach unit - I nearly forgot about that one.

                Be well,
                DBN

                Message 8 of 16 , May 19, 2013
                  I have both!  The machtech gives you sfm   The 14 dollar hand held tach doesnt  It is, however, handy and easily adapted to any rotating shaft by merely attaching a piece of reflective tape

                  Message 9 of 16 , May 19, 2013
                    Thanks everyone for the great suggestions, information and help!  This is terrific group...you guys are awesome!

                      I'll start with the calculations for now, then implement a digital solution as the budget allows.

                    Best regards,
                    -Vern

                    Sent from my iPhone

                    Message 10 of 16 , May 19, 2013
                      I picked up a DT 2234C+ hand held Digital Laser Tech for $12 on Ebay and
                      it has exceeded my expectations and it can be used with the lathes and
                      the mill and anything else I'm curious about.

                      Regards

                      cww

                      Vern wrote:
                      > I was curious about this as well...
                      >
                      > Along similar lines, what method is used to measure/verify RPM? Now
                      > that I've replaced the motor and drive pulley, the speed chart is no
                      > longer very useful... I'd like to add some sort of simple digital
                      > tach, but not too certain of the best location for the sensor (spindle
                      > pulley perhaps?)...
                      >
                      > Sent from my iPhone
                      >
                      > On May 19, 2013, at 8:19 AM, Guenther Paul <paulguenter@...
                      > <mailto:paulguenter@...>> wrote:
                      >
                      >> Fred
                      >> I have a big red and yesterday i took a 1/8 cut on steel on the
                      >> lowest speed it worked fine. I was using a 1/2 end mill.
                      >> Aluminum is soft i would run around 1000 rpm . I would use a fly
                      >> cutter if i could
                      >> GP

                    • Curt Wuollet
                      Message 11 of 16 , May 20, 2013
                        If you need sfpm, you can rig a 12"/pi diameter wheel (a little under
                        4") with a spot of the reflective tape on it and measure it's speed.
                        I've done this for conveyors to get an accurate speed. I have one with a
                        handle and you just hold it against the surface. Just a disc with a
                        groove turned for an O ring.

                        Regards

                        cww