Re: [mill_drill] Rescued Rutland Tools Mill Drill

  • Vern
    Message 1 of 22 , May 17, 2013
      It occurred to me that I might still use this guy with a larger 220 v single to 3 phase VFD... It simply wouldn't run as fast.  Any thoughts on this?

      Sent from my iPhone

      On May 17, 2013, at 1:41 PM, Vern <n7gtb@...> wrote:

      The unit is equipped with a dual speed switch, and the motor nameplate indicates 1720/860 rpm.  Inside the cover for the junction box, is a small tag labeled '4P' and '8P'; with connections for both.  But I'm not seeing anything that indicates dual voltage...  I'm assuming that the 4P/8P indicates the number of poles or windings...(?). I'm not up on the multiphase power stuff.

      Sent from my iPhone

      On May 17, 2013, at 12:30 PM, "Starlight Tool Services Ltd" <starlight_tools@...> wrote:

      Vern

      You might want to check inside the junction box and see if it is 220/440 as opposed to a straight 440V motor.  If there is a wiring diagram inside the box then you can rewire to 220V and add a VFD.

      Walter

      Message 2 of 22 , May 17, 2013
        scratch that idea...  Just spoke to an electrician friend of mine, and it doesn't sound viable.  Looks like a replacement motor is in order.   -V.

        Message 3 of 22 , May 17, 2013
          Vern

          A 220V RPC (Rotary Phase Converter) with a 220-440 Step up transformer would work wonders in this situation.  That is how I run my 600V machines (used a 220-600 Transformer.

          The advantage with this is that I can run any number of three phase machines without having to play with the internal wiring of the machine, up to the total HP rating of the RPC

          In my case a PhaseMAXX 7TZ which is 7-1/2 HP largest single motor, up to 22 HP max.  Wish I had gone a 10TZ after everything was said and done 10 Hp / 30 HP

          Walter

          Message 4 of 22 , May 17, 2013
            Hi Walter,

            Thanks for the suggestion.  At this point I'm not really certain which direction I'll go.  Aside from my wire feed welder (230v 50 amp), this mill drill is the largest piece of equipment I have (electrically speaking)...I'm just a hobbiest working out of his home garage.  So far, the mill drill hasn't cost me anything but sweat and elbow grease.  But it also isn't looking to return much either.  As mentioned, I do have a single phase 230v motor at hand, and if by chance it's reversible, may try to adapt it.

              Message 6 of 22 , May 17, 2013
                On 5/17/2013 4:15 PM, Corey Renner wrote:
                Vern,
                you don't need reverse on a mill-drill.  Use the motor you've got.

                I have a VFD and I'd be lost without a reverse.  How do you back out a tap when using the mill drill for tapping?  Or cut around the outside with a boring bar and boring head without reverse?  What about left handed end mills?  I have a few of those.

                JerryK
              • Vern

                  Message 8 of 22 , May 17, 2013
                    I use reverse on my mill regularly.  Left hand drill bits, fly cutter, etc

                    Be careful about leaving that feature out.

                    Walter

                  Message 9 of 22 , May 17, 2013
                    I figured at this point I'll get it operational, then find a more suitable motor later...  This way, I can shake out any other issues.

                    Sent from my iPhone

                    Message 10 of 22 , May 17, 2013
                      Get a 3 phase motor and a VFD. Eliminate the switch, get reverse, control RPM with a dial (alot less belt changes/gear shifting). I wired my 2 speed motor to the low speed windings and use the VFD for high RPM (mine goes to 400hz). Best thing I have ever gotten for the mill. I bought a surplus 3 phase for my lathe and I am saving my nickles for another VFD. With a little greative wiring and programing, I could use one for both. They are not that expensive and I am lazy. I got the remote control pad with my VFD and mounted it right on the front of the mill's head. The VFD is safely hidden away in the mill's cabinet. Just do it and don't look back. Mike

                      --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Vern <n7gtb@...> wrote:

                      > I figured at this point I'll get it operational, then find a more suitable motor later... This way, I can shake out any other issues.
                      >
                      > Sent from my iPhone
                      >
                      > On May 17, 2013, at 5:32 PM, "Starlight Tool Services Ltd" <starlight_tools@...> wrote:
                      >

                      > > I use reverse on my mill regularly. Left hand drill bits, fly cutter, etc
                      > >
                      > > Be careful about leaving that feature out.
                      > >
                      > > Walter

                    • Vern
                      Message 11 of 22 , May 18, 2013
                        Any suggestions on VFD/Mfg to avoid? I've read that they aren't all created equal...

                        I'll keep an eye out for a 3 phase (220 v) motor. They seem plentiful on epay, but not so much in my local area, unless I go with new ($$$).

                        Thanks again to everyone in the group for responding to my questions...

                        - Vern

                        Sent from my iPhone

                        On May 17, 2013, at 6:16 PM, "Michael Parrish" <mike@...> wrote:

                        > Get a 3 phase motor and a VFD. Eliminate the switch, get reverse, control RPM with a dial (alot less belt changes/gear shifting). I wired my 2 speed motor to the low speed windings and use the VFD for high RPM (mine goes to 400hz). Best thing I have ever gotten for the mill. I bought a surplus 3 phase for my lathe and I am saving my nickles for another VFD. With a little greative wiring and programing, I could use one for both. They are not that expensive and I am lazy. I got the remote control pad with my VFD and mounted it right on the front of the mill's head. The VFD is safely hidden away in the mill's cabinet. Just do it and don't look back. Mike
                        >
                        > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Vern <n7gtb@...> wrote:
                        >>
                        >> I figured at this point I'll get it operational, then find a more suitable motor later... This way, I can shake out any other issues.
                        >>
                        >> Sent from my iPhone
                        >>
                        >> On May 17, 2013, at 5:32 PM, "Starlight Tool Services Ltd" <starlight_tools@...> wrote:
                        >>

                        >>> I use reverse on my mill regularly. Left hand drill bits, fly cutter, etc
                        >>>
                        >>> Be careful about leaving that feature out.
                        >>>
                        >>> Walter

                      • Michael Parrish
                        Message 12 of 22 , May 18, 2013
                          I have an Automation Direct GS2 [ http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Drives/GS2_(115_-z-_230_-z-_460_-z-_575_VAC_V-z-Hz_Control)/GS2_Drive_Units_(115_-z-_230_-z-_460_-z-_575_VAC) ]. That link is long and crazy, may not work. Just Google Automation Direct GS2. I used a 230v 1 or 3 phase in / 3 phase out model (using 230 volt, single phase in). Make sure you get one with an amperage rating greater than the motor's tag. If not, you won't get max power/rpm out of the motor. They have an optional cable that remotes the control module, highly recommended. There are also optional resistors that enable braking. I didn't get any. You can program a reasonable decel rate, as-is. With braking you could make it stop the spindle instantly. I don't know what to avoid, this is the only VFD I have ever had. These are volts/hertz drives. There are different types of VFD's (they include Volts/Hz, Voltage Vector, Voltage Vector +, Flux Vector and Servo). Volts/hertz are "variable torque", it has to do with maintaining torque at low (really low), rpm. Volts/hertz works for me. You may want to read up on it though. Good hunting, I love what mine does for my mill, Mike

                          Rong Fu JFC45N2F (3 phase, 2 speed, dovetail column, power down feed)

                          --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Vern <n7gtb@...> wrote:

                          > Any suggestions on VFD/Mfg to avoid? I've read that they aren't all created equal...
                          >
                          > I'll keep an eye out for a 3 phase (220 v) motor. They seem plentiful on epay, but not so much in my local area, unless I go with new ($$$).
                          >
                          > Thanks again to everyone in the group for responding to my questions...
                          >
                          > - Vern
                          >
                          > Sent from my iPhone
                          >
                          > On May 17, 2013, at 6:16 PM, "Michael Parrish" <mike@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > > Get a 3 phase motor and a VFD. Eliminate the switch, get reverse, control RPM with a dial (alot less belt changes/gear shifting). I wired my 2 speed motor to the low speed windings and use the VFD for high RPM (mine goes to 400hz). Best thing I have ever gotten for the mill. I bought a surplus 3 phase for my lathe and I am saving my nickles for another VFD. With a little greative wiring and programing, I could use one for both. They are not that expensive and I am lazy. I got the remote control pad with my VFD and mounted it right on the front of the mill's head. The VFD is safely hidden away in the mill's cabinet. Just do it and don't look back. Mike
                          > >
                          > > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Vern <n7gtb@> wrote:
                          > >>
                          > >> I figured at this point I'll get it operational, then find a more suitable motor later... This way, I can shake out any other issues.
                          > >>
                          > >> Sent from my iPhone

                        • Vern
                          Message 13 of 22 , May 18, 2013
                            Thank again Michael. The link worked fine. Once I've settled on a replacement motor, the VFD can be identified...

                            My younger son and I fitted the single phase motor, and gave it a go. It's a Dayton brand compressor motor, that also spins twice as fast as the old one. With that in mind, I also fitted as small a pulley as I could, to index with the largest idler, etc.. Spins up nice, but only had it powered up for a minute or two. Just long enough to flush out drive train issues.

                            I was able to access the upper taper roller (thrust) bearing, and force grease into it. But I'd feel better about things if I could grease the lower one as well. I have a parts break-down from an Enco that looks pretty similar. Might give me enough info to deduce how the beast comes apart...

                            Sent from my iPhone

                            On May 18, 2013, at 10:53 AM, "Michael Parrish" <mike@...> wrote:

                            > I have an Automation Direct GS2 [ http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Drives/GS2_(115_-z-_230_-z-_460_-z-_575_VAC_V-z-Hz_Control)/GS2_Drive_Units_(115_-z-_230_-z-_460_-z-_575_VAC) ]. That link is long and crazy, may not work. Just Google Automation Direct GS2. I used a 230v 1 or 3 phase in / 3 phase out model (using 230 volt, single phase in). Make sure you get one with an amperage rating greater than the motor's tag. If not, you won't get max power/rpm out of the motor. They have an optional cable that remotes the control module, highly recommended. There are also optional resistors that enable braking. I didn't get any. You can program a reasonable decel rate, as-is. With braking you could make it stop the spindle instantly. I don't know what to avoid, this is the only VFD I have ever had. These are volts/hertz drives. There are different types of VFD's (they include Volts/Hz, Voltage Vector, Voltage Vector +, Flux Vector and Servo). Volts/hertz are "variable torque", it has to do with maintaining torque at low (really low), rpm. Volts/hertz works for me. You may want to read up on it though. Good hunting, I love what mine does for my mill, Mike
                            >
                            > Rong Fu JFC45N2F (3 phase, 2 speed, dovetail column, power down feed)
                            >

                            > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Vern <n7gtb@...> wrote:
                            >>
                            >> Any suggestions on VFD/Mfg to avoid? I've read that they aren't all created equal...
                            >>
                            >> I'll keep an eye out for a 3 phase (220 v) motor. They seem plentiful on epay, but not so much in my local area, unless I go with new ($$$).
                            >>
                            >> Thanks again to everyone in the group for responding to my questions...
                            >>
                            >> - Vern
                            >>
                            >> Sent from my iPhone
                            >>
                            >> On May 17, 2013, at 6:16 PM, "Michael Parrish" <mike@...> wrote:
                            >>
                            >>> Get a 3 phase motor and a VFD. Eliminate the switch, get reverse, control RPM with a dial (alot less belt changes/gear shifting). I wired my 2 speed motor to the low speed windings and use the VFD for high RPM (mine goes to 400hz). Best thing I have ever gotten for the mill. I bought a surplus 3 phase for my lathe and I am saving my nickles for another VFD. With a little greative wiring and programing, I could use one for both. They are not that expensive and I am lazy. I got the remote control pad with my VFD and mounted it right on the front of the mill's head. The VFD is safely hidden away in the mill's cabinet. Just do it and don't look back. Mike

                          • Vern