Re: [mill_drill] odd thread

  • Lynn Kasdorf
    Message 1 of 11 , May 14, 2013
      The thread on the big stock holding clamp on my horizontal bandsaw is
      like that. It uses a half-nut system to engage the thread on the 90 deg
      face so that it holds under pressure. Once pressure is released, it
      comes loose easily. A half nut would not latch onto a normal 60 deg
      thread. It is somewhat like a ratchet in that regard.
      Lynn Kasdorf

      On 5/14/2013 10:10 PM, Curt Wuollet wrote:
      > Butress thread for force in one direction say a cannon breach?
      >
      > Regards
      >
      > cww
      >

      > Jerry Durand wrote:
      >> Looking through an old book I have on machinery it shows several
      >> different threads. One is trapezoidal, instead of say 60 degrees on
      >> both faces, one is 90 degrees and the other is 45 degrees. Any idea
      >> what this would be for?
      >>
      >> --
      >> Jerry Durand, Durand Interstellar, Inc. www.interstellar.com
      >> tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
      >> Skype: jerrydurand

    • Chris Demers
      Message 2 of 11 , May 15, 2013
        Jerry,
        Are you looking for the following:

         http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trapezoidal_thread_forms

        Chris

        Looking through an old book I have on machinery it shows several
        different threads.  One is trapezoidal, instead of say 60 degrees on
        both faces, one is 90 degrees and the other is 45 degrees.  Any idea
        what this would be for?

        --
        Jerry Durand, Durand Interstellar, Inc.  www.interstellar.com
        tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
        Skype:  jerrydurand

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            mill_drill-digest@yahoogroups.com
            mill_drill-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Jerry Durand

          Message 4 of 11 , May 15, 2013
            As already mentioned, that is called a "buttress" thread.  Here is a smaller example I've cut...  http://tinyurl.com/ayorxna  Some collets use such a form for their drawbar threads.  There are subtle different types, though, worth noting.  For example: 45-7 degree, 45-5 degree, 45-0 (as you mention).  You can find them in Machinery's Handbook; they haven't been retired to history.    -Arthur

            On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 1:22 PM, Jerry Durand <jdurand@...> wrote:
            Not Acme, right triangle.  One face is 90 degrees from horizontal, the other is 45 degrees.
          • Jim S.
            Message 5 of 11 , May 15, 2013
              This is a buttress thread. One use is on the back end of a Mauser rifle bolt. The entire firing pin/cocking assembly screws into the back of the bolt body on a buttress thread. All the force in this assembly is in one direction, with the load provided by the mainspring. Very strong in one direction, not so much in the other (but not needed).

              There are specs for some of these threads in Machinery's Handbook IIRC.

              Jim (Just a guy who likes to build stuff)
            • largrin
              Message 6 of 11 , May 15, 2013
                I cut a lot of buttress threads before I retired.
                My first encounter with the design was when I was repairing hydraulic cylinders for Bobcats. Since the tubing is thin walled, using a buttress thread helped to not exert force outward, thereby expanding the thread fit. Also, it was said that the thread stood up better to the constant hammering from the full extension of the cylinder.

                The thread actually has a 45° flank, and a 7° flank that took the load.
                Our company purchased insert tooling to make it more efficient time-wise.

                The thing I had to get in my head was to use opposite ground tool bits for internal and external threads.
                The next odd thing is that like all machinists, I would take small cuts and "sneak up" on a very nice fit. With buttress threads, when you test fit, and it wont go, you take .003" more, and it feels too loose. But it isn't too loose, that is the nature of it.

                Larry in WV

                --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Jerry Durand <jdurand@...> wrote:

                > Looking through an old book I have on machinery it shows several
                > different threads. One is trapezoidal, instead of say 60 degrees on
                > both faces, one is 90 degrees and the other is 45 degrees. Any idea
                > what this would be for?
                >
                > --
                > Jerry Durand, Durand Interstellar, Inc. www.interstellar.com
                > tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
                > Skype: jerrydurand

              • Paul
                Message 7 of 11 , May 17, 2013
                  This also looks like the type of thread used on PVC/CPVC pipe unions.

                  Paul H.