Re: [mill_drill] Turn table

  • Guenther Paul
    Message 1 of 22 , May 8, 2013
      Sam
      Nice job you brought that baby back and looking pretty. I dont think its the same table i am looking at

      GP

      Message 2 of 22 , May 8, 2013

        Hi Same,

        Very nice work - thanks for the picts!

        Be well,
        DBN

        Message 3 of 22 , May 8, 2013
          GDay Guenther,

          Paul, I am based on the south side of Brisbane.

          If you need an angle table why not build an angle plate/mount for it.

          Use two pieces of 1/2" plate with some sort of hinge between them, you
          could even use a couple of old door hinges if need be. Bolt the RT on
          one plate and clamp the other plate to the mill table.

          You can use a sine bar to set the angles or you can include any sort of
          lift mechanism you like in order to set the required angle.

          Some threaded rod and a couple of nuts would do in a pinch but you can
          make it as simple or as complex as you want/need.

          --
          Regards
          Andy M

          Guenther Paul wrote:
          > Andy
          > Thanks for your recommendations. I will check on them where do you live
          > in AU. I have a friend/customer in Brisbane
          > GP
        • Edgar
          Message 4 of 22 , May 8, 2013
            Here are plans and build photos of an angle plate built on an RF mill:

            http://homepage3.nifty.com/amigos/tilting_angle_table/tilting_angle_table-e.htm

            Orlin in SC/USA

            --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Andy M <trumpy81@...> wrote:

            > GDay Guenther,
            >
            > Paul, I am based on the south side of Brisbane.
            >
            > If you need an angle table why not build an angle plate/mount for it.

          • Steve
            Message 5 of 22 , May 8, 2013
              Even a 6" table is pretty small. If you have already considered what you plan to do and know it will work, disregard this. I busted out my 8" RT yesterday to mill an ~2.5" circular slot in a 4x4x1/2" plate and there wasn't a bunch of extra room to clamp it down. I use 3/8" studs/clamps on the RT so they are smaller than the ones for the mill table but it's amazing how fast the real estate goes away when you have to find room for clamps and step blocks etc. I guess the flip side for some is that the bigger tables get heavy quick but my 8" Phase II isn't too bad.

              --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Guenther P" <paulguenter@...> wrote:

              > Does any one have any experiance with this turn table ? I was woundering about the quality
              > Thanks
              > http://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/e11050.m43.l1123/7?euid=05cb365640ef4dcf8232e35db7ab818d&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2FeBayISAPI.dll%3FViewItem%26item%3D230977551256%26ssPageName%3DADME%3AX%3AAAQ%3AUS%3A1123

            • Sam Rod
              Message 6 of 22 , May 9, 2013
                I can totally agree with Steve's statement.
                you have a given part and think hey it'll fit on my xx table..
                but then find your prob left with no room for clamps and then its
                Hey I wish I had a bigger table!

                But not to mistake a small table has it place too.

                -Sam

                Message 7 of 22 , May 11, 2013
                  You can fudge a bit and make 4 bars that slip into the T-nut slots. You drill and tap a hole in each bar for your hold down studs. Let the bars project out past the outer diameter of the rotary table and you can put in your clamping studs, clamps and clamp back supports to hold the work in place on the rotary table.
                  Alternatively you can get a larger disk of aluminum and clamp it to the rotary table and clamp the work to that. This is easier to deal with than the bars when doing the set-up. I've used the same disk for years machining grooves and pockets into the aluminum plate to locate the work. This was like a 24 inch diameter disk on a 12 inch Rotary table. You could then drill and tap holes where you needed them to gain purchase on the work. I had an extension crank to reach underneath the aluminum disk to reach the rotary table crank wheel. You could easily put a 12 inch plate onto a 6" rotary table.

                  Orlin in SC/USA

                  Message 8 of 22 , May 11, 2013
                    Orlin
                    The link i used was just a example of the make of the turn table, i would never by a  4" dia. table its just to small.
                    This table comes from india. Some say don't touch it and some say its ok but not excellent.
                    A friend bought one from a e-bay seller and he is very happy with it, but its more money. Don't miss understand
                    i don't mind spending more for better quality.
                    I was hoping some one would say yes i have one of these.

                    GP

                    You can fudge a bit and make 4 bars that slip into the T-nut slots. You drill and tap a hole in each bar for your hold down studs. Let the bars project out past the outer diameter of the rotary table and you can put in your clamping studs, clamps and clamp back supports to hold the work in place on the rotary table.
                    Alternatively you can get a larger disk of aluminum and clamp it to the rotary table and clamp the work to that. This is easier to deal with than the bars when doing the set-up. I've used the same disk for years machining grooves and pockets into the aluminum plate to locate the work. This was like a 24 inch diameter disk on a 12 inch Rotary table. You could then drill and tap holes where you needed them to gain purchase on the work. I had an extension crank to reach underneath the aluminum disk to reach the rotary table crank wheel. You could easily put a 12 inch plate onto a 6" rotary table.

                    Orlin in SC/USA

                    --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Sam Rod <mail4sam@...> wrote:

                    > I can totally agree with Steve's statement.
                    > you have a given part and think hey it'll fit on my xx table..
                    > but then find your prob left with no room for clamps and then its
                    > Hey I wish I had a bigger table!
                    >
                    > But not to mistake a small table has it place too.
                    >
                    > -Sam
                    >

                    > On May 8, 2013, at 10:14 PM, "Steve" <StevenEAlb@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > Even a 6" table is pretty small. If you have already considered what you plan to do and know it will work, disregard this. I busted out my 8" RT yesterday to mill an ~2.5" circular slot in a 4x4x1/2" plate and there wasn't a bunch of extra room to clamp it down. I use 3/8" studs/clamps on the RT so they are
                    smaller than the ones for the mill table but it's amazing how fast the real estate goes away when you have to find room for clamps and step blocks etc. I guess the flip side for some is that the bigger tables get heavy quick but my 8" Phase II isn't too bad.

                    > > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Guenther P" <paulguenter@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Does any one have any experiance with this turn table ? I was woundering about the quality
                    > > > Thanks

                    target=_blank>http://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/e11050.m43.l1123/7?euid=05cb365640ef4dcf8232e35db7ab818d&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2FeBayISAPI.dll%3FViewItem%26item%3D230977551256%26ssPageName%3DADME%3AX%3AAAQ%3AUS%3A1123

                  • Edgar
                    Message 9 of 22 , May 11, 2013
                      Yep, you want to get the best you can and have it sized for the work that you intend to do.
                      Having an aluminum bolster plate for the rotary table is very helpful and even in a job shop it will last for years mounted on the rotary table. After you get enough holes tapped in it over the years, you can clamp just about anything without having to add more.
                      The home built rotary table that I linked to earlier would be an excellent table for small modeling work, especially with the adjustable angle plate to go with it. It is a 100mm/4inch table and would be nicer than anything you are going to get from the Far East. Just the thing to back up a larger table.

                      Orlin in SC/USA