Square column mill dovetails.. was: Re: Reviews/feedback on Enco PF404-0045..

  • pony66@att.net
    Message 1 of 29 , May 5, 2013
      Interesting enough, I bought the same mill except with the X axis power feed installed and with the stand. I ordered mine April 5th and the Enco number was 404-0078

      My serial number is THE next item in sequence, 1130222. My ways all look good, X,Y, and Z and were definitely machined.

      I ran the break in gear sequence as recommended and drained the oil today while it was warm. A couple of sand particles in the bottom of the drain tub but nothing like I had heard about.

      All in all, I couldn't be happier. I bought it on sale, with 10% off of that and free shipping. That money then went on some tooling.

      Ironically, my machine was THE next in sequence when the serial numbers were installed. It's a small world. I am glad my worker had a better day......lol

      --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "uhmgawa" <uhmgawa@...> wrote:

      > > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "uhmgawa" <uhmgawa@> wrote:
      > >
      > > > I'm wondering if anyone
      > > > here may own/use an Enco PF404-0045 and have some feedback to
      > > > help guide a prospective purchase..
      >
      > The mill arrived last week without too much difficulty. All looked
      > well until I noticed the unbelievable condition of the column
      > ways. Enco told me the ways were all ground. Forget that, the
      > ways look as if they weren't even machined with a sharp cutter.
      > In particular the dovetail surface of the column is so poor
      > I'd expect accelerated wearout in a CNC application. I didn't
      > bother to run an indicator on the resulting z axis travel as I
      > can't get past my shock of such a surface finish for machine
      > ways. Admittedly my reference for comparison is scraped dovetails
      > on old American iron. While I hardly expected an equivalent, I
      > can't believe this is typical for these mills. Incidentally the
      > table ways aren't much better.
      >
      > Can anyone else with access to other Rong Fu 45s or clones
      > (especially either Grizzly G0519/G0484) provide a comparison
      > with their machines? A few pictures of the condition are
      > available here:
      >
      > http://www.third-harmonic.com/pub/enco/404-0045

    • Druid Noibn
      Message 2 of 29 , May 5, 2013
        Hi,

        It is good to hear that your machine came in clear & clean.

        I looked over the pictures of our colleague and - - - WOW; the flaking don't look to have any value other than potential looks.

        On my Grizzly 0484 - there were issues - the company had to repair the head - the bearing leaked (due to grit?).  When I did the flush, the amount of grit was amazing - I hope the folks at the factory wear masks.

        Sometimes, it just the luck of the draw.

        Be well,
        DBN

        Interesting enough, I bought the same mill except with the X axis power feed installed and with the stand. I ordered mine April 5th and the Enco number was 404-0078

        My serial number is THE next item in sequence, 1130222. My ways all look good, X,Y, and Z and were definitely machined.

        I ran the break in gear sequence as recommended and drained the oil today while it was warm. A couple of sand particles in the bottom of the drain tub but nothing like I had heard about.

        All in all, I couldn't be happier. I bought it on sale, with 10% off of that and free shipping. That money then went on some tooling.

        Ironically, my machine was THE next in sequence when the serial numbers were installed. It's a small world. I am glad my worker had a better day......lol

        --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "uhmgawa" <uhmgawa@...> wrote:

        > > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "uhmgawa" <uhmgawa@> wrote:
        > >
        > > > I'm wondering if anyone
        > > > here may own/use an Enco PF404-0045 and have some feedback to
        > > > help guide a prospective purchase..
        >
        > The mill arrived last week without too much difficulty. All looked
        > well until I noticed the unbelievable condition of the column
        > ways. Enco told me the ways were all ground. Forget that, the
        > ways look as if they weren't even machined with a sharp cutter.
        > In particular the dovetail surface of the column is so poor
        > I'd expect accelerated wearout in a CNC application. I didn't
        > bother to run an indicator on the resulting z axis travel as I
        > can't get past my shock of such a surface finish for machine
        > ways. Admittedly my reference for comparison is scraped dovetails
        > on old American iron. While I hardly expected an equivalent, I
        > can't believe this is typical for these mills. Incidentally the
        > table ways aren't much better.
        >
        > Can anyone else with access to other Rong Fu 45s or clones
        > (especially either Grizzly G0519/G0484) provide a comparison
        > with their machines? A few pictures of the condition are
        > available here:
        >
        > http://www.third-harmonic.com/pub/enco/404-0045

      • svsequoia_pdx
        Message 3 of 29 , May 5, 2013
          I recently purchased a Sabre RF-45 clone after deciding I didn't want to wait for Grizzly to get stock on their latest version (5 month lead time quoted in January!). My machine has a long table (39") and a power x feed but not power Z. Otherwise it looks very much like your picture.

          The z ways on mine show vertical machine marks but not as bad as yours. It moves smoothly enough and the measured z,y movement over several inches of z travel was less than .001". So its not real pretty on the angled part of the ways, but it works...I guess that, so far, I feel like I got what I paid for (about $2400).

          I am currently installing glass scales on all axes (including both column and quill feed).

          Good luck, I hope it works out for you.
          Craig

          --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "uhmgawa" <uhmgawa@...> wrote:

          > > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "uhmgawa" <uhmgawa@> wrote:
          > >
          > > > I'm wondering if anyone
          > > > here may own/use an Enco PF404-0045 and have some feedback to
          > > > help guide a prospective purchase..
          >
          > The mill arrived last week without too much difficulty. All looked
          > well until I noticed the unbelievable condition of the column
          > ways. Enco told me the ways were all ground. Forget that, the
          > ways look as if they weren't even machined with a sharp cutter.
          > In particular the dovetail surface of the column is so poor
          > I'd expect accelerated wearout in a CNC application. I didn't
          > bother to run an indicator on the resulting z axis travel as I
          > can't get past my shock of such a surface finish for machine
          > ways. Admittedly my reference for comparison is scraped dovetails
          > on old American iron. While I hardly expected an equivalent, I
          > can't believe this is typical for these mills. Incidentally the
          > table ways aren't much better.
          >
          > Can anyone else with access to other Rong Fu 45s or clones
          > (especially either Grizzly G0519/G0484) provide a comparison
          > with their machines? A few pictures of the condition are
          > available here:
          >
          > http://www.third-harmonic.com/pub/enco/404-0045

        • internal_fire
          Message 4 of 29 , May 6, 2013
            It appears that the "other" serial number is 1120772, not even close. Perhaps not even from the same factory.

            Gene

            Message 5 of 29 , May 7, 2013
              I'll have to go back and check mine as it may have been my typing of 2's vs 7's......that is from the data plate on the rear....

              On the head, the serial plate reads 2220113, which is the reverse of the rear data plate. I was taking that to be unit 113 vs unit 112.