Re: [mill_drill] Coolant pooling in chip tray

  • Druid Noibn
    Message 1 of 6 , May 3, 2013
      Hi Jerry,

      Elegant.

      Kind regards,
      DBN

      --- On Fri, 5/3/13, Jerry Durand <jdurand@...> wrote:

      From: Jerry Durand <jdurand@...>
      Subject: Re: [mill_drill] Coolant pooling in chip tray
      To: mill_drill@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Friday, May 3, 2013, 3:41 PM

      On 05/03/2013 12:30 PM, Corey Renner wrote:
      The drip-tray on my bandsaw doesn't do a very good job of draining all of the coolant back into the sump.  When I turn off the saw I have probably 1/2 quart stuck in the corners and unable to drain.  This being AZ, it evaporates in about 2 days leaving a sticky mess and making my saw a little lower on coolant for the next use.  Thought of an easy fix today.  I laid a piece of cotton string from the area where to the coolant pools down into the hole where it's supposed to go.  Now the formerly stranded coolant wicks through the string and ends up in the sump where it belongs.  Since the end of the string doesn't touch the top of the coolant in the sump, it can't wick the wrong way.  It takes about an hour for the string to do its thing, but that's ok.  Simple fix for a problem that's been bugging me for a while.

      Hope this helps someone.

      cheers,

      You need to run down the street naked yelling EUREKA!  Ok, wrong discovery, don't remember who discovered capillary action by having his towel drain the sink or bath.  :)

      Anyway, good trick I should remember.

      tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
      Skype:  jerrydurand

    • Corey Renner
      Message 2 of 6 , May 3, 2013

        Who says I didn't?

        cheers,

        c ;)

        Message 3 of 6 , May 3, 2013

          Oh my word.....

          You need to run down the street naked yelling EUREKA!  Ok, wrong discovery, don't remember who discovered capillary action by having his towel drain the sink or bath.  :)

          Anyway, good trick I should remember.

        • Malcolm Parker-Lisberg
          Message 4 of 6 , May 4, 2013
            And they call him Corey the blue (with the cold) streak, fastest thing on two feet. :o)

            Malcolm

            Mene, mene, tekel, upharsin
            The writing is on the wall.