Coolant pooling in chip tray

  • Corey Renner
    Message 1 of 6 , May 3, 2013
      The drip-tray on my bandsaw doesn't do a very good job of draining all of the coolant back into the sump.  When I turn off the saw I have probably 1/2 quart stuck in the corners and unable to drain.  This being AZ, it evaporates in about 2 days leaving a sticky mess and making my saw a little lower on coolant for the next use.  Thought of an easy fix today.  I laid a piece of cotton string from the area where to the coolant pools down into the hole where it's supposed to go.  Now the formerly stranded coolant wicks through the string and ends up in the sump where it belongs.  Since the end of the string doesn't touch the top of the coolant in the sump, it can't wick the wrong way.  It takes about an hour for the string to do its thing, but that's ok.  Simple fix for a problem that's been bugging me for a while.

      Hope this helps someone.

      cheers,
    • Jerry Durand
      Message 2 of 6 , May 3, 2013
        On 05/03/2013 12:30 PM, Corey Renner wrote:
[...]

        You need to run down the street naked yelling EUREKA!  Ok, wrong discovery, don't remember who discovered capillary action by having his towel drain the sink or bath.  :)

        Anyway, good trick I should remember.

        tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
        Skype:  jerrydurand

      • Druid Noibn
        Message 3 of 6 , May 3, 2013
          Hi Jerry,

          Elegant.

          Kind regards,
          DBN

          Message 4 of 6 , May 3, 2013

            Who says I didn't?

            cheers,

            c ;)

            Message 5 of 6 , May 3, 2013

              Oh my word.....

              You need to run down the street naked yelling EUREKA!  Ok, wrong discovery, don't remember who discovered capillary action by having his towel drain the sink or bath.  :)

              Anyway, good trick I should remember.

            • Malcolm Parker-Lisberg
              Message 6 of 6 , May 4, 2013
                And they call him Corey the blue (with the cold) streak, fastest thing on two feet. :o)

                Malcolm

                Mene, mene, tekel, upharsin
                The writing is on the wall.