RE: [mill_drill] Covering up ball oiler ports

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 12 , May 1, 2013
    See attached pics, of my 1340 Smithy. Maybe something like this will work on
    your mill.

    I made spacers for the scale to move it away from the table, and a 90 degree
    adapter for the port. I got the threaded ball oiler from McMaster
    Carr.....and the 1/4"-32 tap.

    Bill

    Message 2 of 12 , May 2, 2013

      Druid:

      Mounting front or back each has its limitations.  But both will cover an oiler port—that is what I am trying to assess and compensate for.

      Craig

      From: svsequoia_pdx <k7cej@...>
      Subject: [mill_drill] Covering up ball oiler ports
      To: mill_drill@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wednesday, May 1, 2013, 2:02 AM

      I am in the process of installing Ditron glass scales on my RF-45 clone nill-drill. The obvious place to mount the long x-axis scale is on the back side of the table, with the optical head bolted to the Y-axis saddle. Unfortunately, the scale completely covers the ball oiler port on the back side for the x-axis motion. Spacing the scale off the table is a non-starter, since it already eats up an inch of the y motion by limiting travel back to the square column.

      How much of an issue is not being able to use the back ball oiler port?
      I can manually brush some way oil on the underside of the ways periodically--will that be good enough?

    • Andy M
      Message 3 of 12 , May 3, 2013
        GDay Craig,

        Mounting the scale on the front allows you to space the scale away from
        the table. On my front mounted scale I have a 10mm gap between the scale
        and table which is ample for adding a 90deg adapter for the ball oiler.

        The adapter could easily be made from 3/8" x 3/4" mild steel stock with
        intersecting holes drilled in the appropriate faces. A small mild steel
        tube turned from an old bolt or similar, would be inserted into the ball
        oiler hole with an appropriate sealer to prevent leaking and the small
        block would then be pressed over the tube and secured in place with a
        couple of 4-40 countersunk screws or similar.

        If you are able to remove the original ball oiler without damage, then
        you can reuse it in the adapter. If not then a simple set screw (grub
        screw) or even a small thumb screw could be used although that would be
        less convenient.

        This block could also be used as the stop point for the T-slot stops.

        --
        Regards
        Andy M