Covering up ball oiler ports

  • svsequoia_pdx
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 30, 2013
      I am in the process of installing Ditron glass scales on my RF-45 clone nill-drill. The obvious place to mount the long x-axis scale is on the back side of the table, with the optical head bolted to the Y-axis saddle. Unfortunately, the scale completely covers the ball oiler port on the back side for the x-axis motion. Spacing the scale off the table is a non-starter, since it already eats up an inch of the y motion by limiting travel back to the square column.

      How much of an issue is not being able to use the back ball oiler port?
      I can manually brush some way oil on the underside of the ways periodically--will that be good enough?
    • Edgar
      Message 2 of 12 , May 1, 2013
        I just recently jerked these two ball oilers out of the table. They had been damaged either during manufacture or when they were installed. I was never able to force any oil into them. The back side is the worst because you can't get square-on to force any oil into it. So for 23 years, I've been doing as you suggested.. squirting oil onto the table's flats and dove tails. I oil the X feed nut and screw at the same time. I'm going to replace them with flip-up oilers. The ball oilers are not my favorite. I've got several on my lathe that are just useless because you can't get the oil can square-on to them so that you have some hope of getting some oil where you need it.

        Have you considered spacing the scale off the front side of the table? I'd be afraid of smashing it if it were on the back side. Plus you lose Y travel that you can ill afford to reduce. Keeping chips and cutting oil out of the mechanism would be a little easier as well.

        Orlin in SC/USA

        --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "svsequoia_pdx" <k7cej@...> wrote:

        > I am in the process of installing Ditron glass scales on my RF-45 clone nill-drill. The obvious place to mount the long x-axis scale is on the back side of the table, with the optical head bolted to the Y-axis saddle. Unfortunately, the scale completely covers the ball oiler port on the back side for the x-axis motion. Spacing the scale off the table is a non-starter, since it already eats up an inch of the y motion by limiting travel back to the square column.
        >
        > How much of an issue is not being able to use the back ball oiler port?
        > I can manually brush some way oil on the underside of the ways periodically--will that be good enough?

      • Goran Hosinsky
        Message 3 of 12 , May 1, 2013
          flip-up oilers, got any picture or link?
          Goran, Canary Islands

          On 2013-05-01 08:14, Edgar wrote:

          I just recently jerked these two ball oilers out of the table. They had been damaged either during manufacture or when they were installed. I was never able to force any oil into them. The back side is the worst because you can't get square-on to force any oil into it. So for 23 years, I've been doing as you suggested.. squirting oil onto the table's flats and dove tails. I oil the X feed nut and screw at the same time. I'm going to replace them with flip-up oilers. The ball oilers are not my favorite. I've got several on my lathe that are just useless because you can't get the oil can square-on to them so that you have some hope of getting some oil where you need it.

          Have you considered spacing the scale off the front side of the table? I'd be afraid of smashing it if it were on the back side. Plus you lose Y travel that you can ill afford to reduce. Keeping chips and cutting oil out of the mechanism would be a little easier as well.

          Orlin in SC/USA

          --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "svsequoia_pdx" <k7cej@...> wrote:

          > I am in the process of installing Ditron glass scales on my RF-45 clone nill-drill. The obvious place to mount the long x-axis scale is on the back side of the table, with the optical head bolted to the Y-axis saddle. Unfortunately, the scale completely covers the ball oiler port on the back side for the x-axis motion. Spacing the scale off the table is a non-starter, since it already eats up an inch of the y motion by limiting travel back to the square column.
          >
          > How much of an issue is not being able to use the back ball oiler port?
          > I can manually brush some way oil on the underside of the ways periodically--will that be good enough?

        • Druid Noibn
          Message 4 of 12 , May 1, 2013
            Hi,

            On my RF-45 clone I mounted the scale on the front due to the lost of travel and the interference between the way covers and swarf.

            I also mounted a 90-degree angle iron over the scale for protection - it woks very well.  As to the end-limit stops, I have not reinstalled them.

            Be well,
            DBN

            I am in the process of installing Ditron glass scales on my RF-45 clone nill-drill. The obvious place to mount the long x-axis scale is on the back side of the table, with the optical head bolted to the Y-axis saddle. Unfortunately, the scale completely covers the ball oiler port on the back side for the x-axis motion. Spacing the scale off the table is a non-starter, since it already eats up an inch of the y motion by limiting travel back to the square column.

            How much of an issue is not being able to use the back ball oiler port?
            I can manually brush some way oil on the underside of the ways periodically--will that be good enough?

          • sapperd06
            Message 5 of 12 , May 1, 2013
              I have my scale on the front of my PM45, and I am still pondering those limit switches. I want them, but how? A liitle help someone, Please
              DWP

              --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Druid Noibn <druid_noibn@...> wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > On my RF-45 clone I mounted the scale on the front due to the lost of travel and the interference between the way covers and swarf.
              >
              > I also mounted a 90-degree angle iron over the scale for protection - it woks very well.  As to the end-limit stops, I have not reinstalled them.
              >
              > Be well,
              > DBN

            • mn_metalbutcher
              Message 6 of 12 , May 1, 2013
                Here you go.

                http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-oil-cups/=mk4elz

                If the link doesn't work then just go to McMaster's web site and search on oil hole cover.

                --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Goran Hosinsky <hosinsky@...> wrote:

                > flip-up oilers, got any picture or link?
                > Goran, Canary Islands

              • mn_metalbutcher
                Message 7 of 12 , May 1, 2013
                  Go to the Photos section of this group and you'll find some pictures of scales mounted on RF-45 clone mills.

                  --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "sapperd06" <don@...> wrote:

                  > I have my scale on the front of my PM45, and I am still pondering those limit switches. I want them, but how? A liitle help someone, Please
                  > DWP
                • Curt Wuollet
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 1, 2013
                    I haven't seen your install but you could probably fit a piece of tubing
                    bent to come up in some more convenient place. Or hand oiling will work,
                    but it's hard to get any quantity in the center to fill the groove.

                    Regards

                    cww

                    svsequoia_pdx wrote:

                    > I am in the process of installing Ditron glass scales on my RF-45
                    > clone nill-drill. The obvious place to mount the long x-axis scale is
                    > on the back side of the table, with the optical head bolted to the
                    > Y-axis saddle. Unfortunately, the scale completely covers the ball
                    > oiler port on the back side for the x-axis motion. Spacing the scale
                    > off the table is a non-starter, since it already eats up an inch of
                    > the y motion by limiting travel back to the square column.
                    >
                    > How much of an issue is not being able to use the back ball oiler port?
                    > I can manually brush some way oil on the underside of the ways
                    > periodically--will that be good enough?

                  • Andy M
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 1, 2013
                      GDay svsequoia_pdx,

                      Have you considered installing a one shot oiling system?

                      I have a TM45FG and I am about to fit just such a system to it. I
                      purchased most of the lines, fittings and pump from Arc Euro Trade in
                      the UK and the cost was nominal. I am also using some push type fittings
                      that I found on eBay to complete the system. I plan on making my own
                      distribution block for the X&Y axis though.

                      http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Machine-Spares/One-Shot-Lubrication-System

                      I also fitted my DRO scale to the front of the table. I am fortunate in
                      that the scale fit without interfering with the axis locks or the T-Slot
                      stops. I still need to fit a sturdy cover over the scale though.

                      I have some pics of the DRO install on my site at www.trumpy.net and I
                      will add pics of the oiling system install when I get around to fitting
                      it as well.

                      --
                      Regards
                      Andy M

                      svsequoia_pdx wrote:
                      > I am in the process of installing Ditron glass scales on my RF-45 clone
                      > nill-drill. The obvious place to mount the long x-axis scale is on the
                      > back side of the table, with the optical head bolted to the Y-axis
                      > saddle. Unfortunately, the scale completely covers the ball oiler port
                      > on the back side for the x-axis motion. Spacing the scale off the table
                      > is a non-starter, since it already eats up an inch of the y motion by
                      > limiting travel back to the square column.
                      >
                      > How much of an issue is not being able to use the back ball oiler port?
                      > I can manually brush some way oil on the underside of the ways
                      > periodically--will that be good enough?
                    • Bill
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 1, 2013
                      See attached pics, of my 1340 Smithy. Maybe something like this will work on
                      your mill.

                      I made spacers for the scale to move it away from the table, and a 90 degree
                      adapter for the port. I got the threaded ball oiler from McMaster
                      Carr.....and the 1/4"-32 tap.

                      Bill

                      svsequoia_pdx wrote:
                      > I am in the process of installing Ditron glass scales on my RF-45
                      > clone nill-drill. The obvious place to mount the long x-axis scale is
                      > on the back side of the table, with the optical head bolted to the
                      > Y-axis saddle. Unfortunately, the scale completely covers the ball
                      > oiler port on the back side for the x-axis motion. Spacing the scale
                      > off the table is a non-starter, since it already eats up an inch of
                      > the y motion by limiting travel back to the square column.
                      >
                      > How much of an issue is not being able to use the back ball oiler port?
                      > I can manually brush some way oil on the underside of the ways
                      > periodically--will that be good enough?

                    • Craig E. Johnston
                      Message 11 of 12 , May 2, 2013

                        Druid:

                        Mounting front or back each has its limitations.  But both will cover an oiler port—that is what I am trying to assess and compensate for.

                        Craig

                        Message 12 of 12 , May 3, 2013
                          GDay Craig,

                          Mounting the scale on the front allows you to space the scale away from
                          the table. On my front mounted scale I have a 10mm gap between the scale
                          and table which is ample for adding a 90deg adapter for the ball oiler.

                          The adapter could easily be made from 3/8" x 3/4" mild steel stock with
                          intersecting holes drilled in the appropriate faces. A small mild steel
                          tube turned from an old bolt or similar, would be inserted into the ball
                          oiler hole with an appropriate sealer to prevent leaking and the small
                          block would then be pressed over the tube and secured in place with a
                          couple of 4-40 countersunk screws or similar.

                          If you are able to remove the original ball oiler without damage, then
                          you can reuse it in the adapter. If not then a simple set screw (grub
                          screw) or even a small thumb screw could be used although that would be
                          less convenient.

                          This block could also be used as the stop point for the T-slot stops.

                          --
                          Regards
                          Andy M