Re: [mill_drill] Re: Mill drill CNC conversion (round column stuff, again)

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 29 10:23 AM
      A great deal, Bob.... BUT....
      The shipping is $18.95!!!  Company policy.
      $21.90 for a strut is a bit pricey...............

      On 4/26/2013 5:32 PM, Bob Headrick wrote:

      This is an old thread but the following might be helpful:  Electronic Goldmine has these lifts on closeout for $2.95.  They are rated at 80 lbs but the one I tested is more like 55 lbs.  I plan to mount it in the column of my Big Red to aid changing the head height.

      One end is a 10mm x 1mm nut, the other end can be removed leaving a 7mmx1.5mm thread.

      See http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G17814

      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 29 5:53 PM

        I bought four and the shipping was still $18.  Yes, it is a bummer that the shipping costs way more than the product.

        I did get one of these mounted in my Big Red to help is head positioning – I mounted it inside the column and while I was there I filled the column (except for a PVC pipe up the center) with hydraulic cement.   The strut helps a lot – now it is easy to raise and lower the head, even left handed.  Before it was a struggle.  (My case may have been more difficult as the stock motor was replaced with a heavy Baldor DC ¾ Hp motor.)

        -        Bob

        Unfortunately the head on my RF-40 clone seems pretty darn heavy, and I don't think the frame of my garage is quite substantial enough to hang that much weight from it. I can think of other ways to rig it, but might be more trouble than it's worth.. At $20 a pop, I'll try the gas springs first and if that doesn't work very well, I'll figure out a way to rig the counter weights!

        --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "clumsysoftballerz" <mypersonalemailaccount@...> wrote:

        > Not a round column, but the idea is the same. weighed the head@ 105lb. Filled a bucket with cement ended up at 103lb. Better to be lucky than good.
        >
        > You can see the cement hanging in the corner
        >
        > http://www.imgur.com/DqSrL.jpeg
        >
        > http://www.imgur.com/6g7jB.jpeg
        >

        > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "tiago_santos_vfx" <tiago@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Ah, never thought of that! That's even easier, definitely. Thanks for the suggestion :)
        > >
        > > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Jerry Durand <jdurand@> wrote:

        > > > Another possibility is just a cable and counterweight. If you were
        > > > tricky you could put a lead weight inside the column but easier is two
        > > > pulleys on the ceiling with the weight next to a wall or in a corner.
        > > >
        > > > --
        > > > Jerry Durand, Durand Interstellar, Inc. www.interstellar.com
        > > > tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
        > > > Skype: jerrydurand

        No virus found in this message.