Re: Ball screw kit?

  • internal_fire
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 29, 2013
      Larry,

      I ordered the Nook screws and nuts through Kaman Industrial, a large national distributor with a location near me. (Most manufacturers won't deal directly with end customers for small orders.)

      The transaction was fine, but I cannot say I have a "preferred" vendor, since that is the only time I ever ordered ball screws.

      My general preferred vendor is McMaster-Carr, but they do not carry the Nook brand.

      Gene

      --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "largrin" <LarGrin@...> wrote:

      > Thanks Gene.
      > I looked at some of the Nook parts after I read your post.
      > They look good.
      > Do you have a preferred vendor?
      >
      > Larry
    • largrin
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 29, 2013
        Thank you Gene.

        Larry

        --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "internal_fire" <gefuller5@...> wrote:

        > Larry,
        >
        > I ordered the Nook screws and nuts through Kaman Industrial, a large national distributor with a location near me. (Most manufacturers won't deal directly with end customers for small orders.)
        >
        > The transaction was fine, but I cannot say I have a "preferred" vendor, since that is the only time I ever ordered ball screws.
        >
        > My general preferred vendor is McMaster-Carr, but they do not carry the Nook brand.
        >
        > Gene
        >
        > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "largrin" <LarGrin@> wrote:
        > >

        > > Thanks Gene.
        > > I looked at some of the Nook parts after I read your post.
        > > They look good.
        > > Do you have a preferred vendor?
        > >
        > > Larry

      • Lynn Kasdorf
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 29, 2013
          At Cabin Fever expo I met a fellow who pointed out a very interesting
          fact. If you look up ball screws at McMaster Carr, you will see
          something unusual about the pricing. They have rolled ball screws with
          .004" per foot accuracy in various sizes.
          3/8: $31.45/ft
          1/2: $41.80/ft
          5/8: $19.11/ft
          3/4: $27.56/ft

          http://www.mcmaster.com/#ball-screws/=mjbnnb

          Notice the low price on the 5/8 screws! He told me that General Motors
          buys this 5/8 screw stock in huge quantities, and that ends up driving
          the price down on that size.

          FYI

          Lynn Kasdorf