Ball screw kit?

  • largrin
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 27, 2013
      I would like to convert my RF type mill to ball screws.
      I don't want CNC, I just want the increased accuracy.
      I have looked around a bit, and found lots of components.
      I would rather not have to build the conversion from assorted parts.
      Does anyone sell a drop in kit for these mills?

      Thanks,
      Larry in WV
    • Art Eckstein
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 27, 2013
        Larry,
        If your talking about ball screws on a manual mill, I think you will
        be disappointed in the results as the efficiency is so good that they
        will "back feed" and to work you will have to provide some form of
        brake. For the record, they also make some very precision acme type
        lead screws!

        Art
        Country Bubba

        At 10:16 AM 4/27/2013, you wrote:
        >I would like to convert my RF type mill to ball screws.
        >I don't want CNC, I just want the increased accuracy.
        >I have looked around a bit, and found lots of components.
        >I would rather not have to build the conversion from assorted parts.
        >Does anyone sell a drop in kit for these mills?
        >
        >Thanks,
        >Larry in WV
      • Jerry Durand
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 27, 2013
          On 04/27/2013 07:29 AM, Art Eckstein wrote:
          > Larry,
          > If your talking about ball screws on a manual mill, I think you will
          > be disappointed in the results as the efficiency is so good that they
          > will "back feed" and to work you will have to provide some form of
          > brake. For the record, they also make some very precision acme type
          > lead screws!
          >
          > Art
          > Country Bubba

          It seems for manual mills the DIY acetal nuts on acme threads would be
          great. Minimal backlash and a bit of desire to stay where you put it.

          tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
          Skype: jerrydurand
        • internal_fire
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 28, 2013
            I have heard about the "backfeed" problem for a long time, but I think it is way overblown as a concern for hobby-level use. I did a conversion to ball screws on my RF-30 several years ago, and it is simply a fantastic improvement. I keep the gibs relatively snug, and the drag of the table is enough to keep it from moving unless I am really hogging something. In that case I simply engage the table lock(s) or keep my hands on the wheels.

            I used Nook 5/8" ball screws and double ball nuts with preloaded spacers.

            Gene

            --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Art Eckstein <art.eckstein@...> wrote:

            > Larry,
            > If your talking about ball screws on a manual mill, I think you will
            > be disappointed in the results as the efficiency is so good that they
            > will "back feed" and to work you will have to provide some form of
            > brake. For the record, they also make some very precision acme type
            > lead screws!
            >
            > Art
            > Country Bubba
            >
            > At 10:16 AM 4/27/2013, you wrote:
            > >I would like to convert my RF type mill to ball screws.
            > >I don't want CNC, I just want the increased accuracy.
            > >I have looked around a bit, and found lots of components.
            > >I would rather not have to build the conversion from assorted parts.
            > >Does anyone sell a drop in kit for these mills?
            > >
            > >Thanks,
            > >Larry in WV

          • largrin
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 28, 2013
              Thanks Gene.
              I looked at some of the Nook parts after I read your post.
              They look good.
              Do you have a preferred vendor?

              Larry

              --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "internal_fire" <gefuller5@...> wrote:

              > I have heard about the "backfeed" problem for a long time, but I think it is way overblown as a concern for hobby-level use. I did a conversion to ball screws on my RF-30 several years ago, and it is simply a fantastic improvement. I keep the gibs relatively snug, and the drag of the table is enough to keep it from moving unless I am really hogging something. In that case I simply engage the table lock(s) or keep my hands on the wheels.
              >
              > I used Nook 5/8" ball screws and double ball nuts with preloaded spacers.
              >
              > Gene
              >
              > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Art Eckstein <art.eckstein@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Larry,
              > > If your talking about ball screws on a manual mill, I think you will
              > > be disappointed in the results as the efficiency is so good that they
              > > will "back feed" and to work you will have to provide some form of
              > > brake. For the record, they also make some very precision acme type
              > > lead screws!
              > >
              > > Art
              > > Country Bubba
              > >
              > > At 10:16 AM 4/27/2013, you wrote:
              > > >I would like to convert my RF type mill to ball screws.
              > > >I don't want CNC, I just want the increased accuracy.
              > > >I have looked around a bit, and found lots of components.
              > > >I would rather not have to build the conversion from assorted parts.
              > > >Does anyone sell a drop in kit for these mills?
              > > >
              > > >Thanks,
              > > >Larry in WV

            • internal_fire
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 29, 2013
                Larry,

                I ordered the Nook screws and nuts through Kaman Industrial, a large national distributor with a location near me. (Most manufacturers won't deal directly with end customers for small orders.)

                The transaction was fine, but I cannot say I have a "preferred" vendor, since that is the only time I ever ordered ball screws.

                My general preferred vendor is McMaster-Carr, but they do not carry the Nook brand.

                Gene

                --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "largrin" <LarGrin@...> wrote:

                > Thanks Gene.
                > I looked at some of the Nook parts after I read your post.
                > They look good.
                > Do you have a preferred vendor?
                >
                > Larry
              • largrin
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 29, 2013
                  Thank you Gene.

                  Larry

                  --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "internal_fire" <gefuller5@...> wrote:

                  > Larry,
                  >
                  > I ordered the Nook screws and nuts through Kaman Industrial, a large national distributor with a location near me. (Most manufacturers won't deal directly with end customers for small orders.)
                  >
                  > The transaction was fine, but I cannot say I have a "preferred" vendor, since that is the only time I ever ordered ball screws.
                  >
                  > My general preferred vendor is McMaster-Carr, but they do not carry the Nook brand.
                  >
                  > Gene
                  >
                  > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "largrin" <LarGrin@> wrote:
                  > >

                  > > Thanks Gene.
                  > > I looked at some of the Nook parts after I read your post.
                  > > They look good.
                  > > Do you have a preferred vendor?
                  > >
                  > > Larry

                • Lynn Kasdorf
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 29, 2013
                    At Cabin Fever expo I met a fellow who pointed out a very interesting
                    fact. If you look up ball screws at McMaster Carr, you will see
                    something unusual about the pricing. They have rolled ball screws with
                    .004" per foot accuracy in various sizes.
                    3/8: $31.45/ft
                    1/2: $41.80/ft
                    5/8: $19.11/ft
                    3/4: $27.56/ft

                    http://www.mcmaster.com/#ball-screws/=mjbnnb

                    Notice the low price on the 5/8 screws! He told me that General Motors
                    buys this 5/8 screw stock in huge quantities, and that ends up driving
                    the price down on that size.

                    FYI

                    Lynn Kasdorf