Re: suggestions for affordable boring head

  • Ramdog
    Message 1 of 30 , Apr 25 7:39 AM
      My mistake, I thought you had a boring head and were looking for another smaller one. The one you show would work fine for almost anything you are boring. If the hole comes out to be a large diameter, you can put your boring bar in the side of the holder and bore that way. Just make sure you have clearance underneath. I've watched a few guys wreck them by not paying attention what was on the other side of the hole. Lol!!!

      --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Lynn Kasdorf <kasdorfmisc@...> wrote:

      > I don't have a boring head at all currently. I have an assortment of
      > 1/2", 3/8", and one or two 3/4" shank boring bars that I picked up over
      > the years at auctions, but no boring head to mount them in. I am
      > building a CNC machine currently and I am finding a need to bore metric
      > size holes in some pieces.
      >
      > Although I have had a mill and lathe or some sort since around 2000, I
      > am just now getting more serious about machining and building more
      > sophisticated stuff. I finally have a DRO on my Rockwell mill, for example!
      >
      > LK
      >
      > On 4/25/2013 9:58 AM, Ramdog wrote:
      > >
      > > What you show from Little Machine Shop works fine for 99% of the jobs
      > > you need a boring head for. I think in the 30+ years of toolmaking and
      > > tool & die work, I may have used one that used the 3/4" boring bars
      > > only once or twice, the rest of the time, it was either one that used
      > > the 1/2" boring bars, or a few years back, I bought a smaller boring
      > > head that uses the 3/8" boring bars.
      > >
      > > What type of boring head are you using at the present? If things are
      > > sticking, maybe you have one of the lock screws dragging more than the
      > > others. I only snug them just a little and keep the screw tension for
      > > the adjustment screw just a little snug but not to the point that it
      > > sticks and then jumps. If it does, I make sure to back it off quite a
      > > ways and come back up to my mark so there is no chance of slop.
      > >
      > > Kevin

    • W. Smith
      Message 2 of 30 , Apr 25 11:32 AM
        I'm with you Bill, boring the seat would be my first choice.

        Another "Bill"

        On 4/22/2013 12:36 PM, Bill wrote:
        > Why would you not use a boring head?
        >

        > Bill

      • Bill
        Message 3 of 30 , Apr 25 11:37 AM

          Here Here!!!!

          The Bills have spoken!

          The other Bill

          I'm with you Bill, boring the seat would be my first choice.

          Another "Bill"

          On 4/22/2013 12:36 PM, Bill wrote:
          > Why would you not use a boring head?
          >

          > Bill

          No virus found in this message.

        • FocusKnobs
          Message 4 of 30 , Apr 25 11:56 AM

            That’s fine – as long as no one *sends* us the Bill…