Re: [mill_drill] Re: Chucking reamers - cutting oil

  • Guenther Paul
    Message 1 of 30 , Apr 24, 2013
      I have reamed many many holes on a drill press with the work not clamped in place in all metals.
      All one has to do is to relocate the hole and run the reamer slow. High rpm's will make the hole bigger

      GP

      On 2013-04-23 17:15, Kevin Weimer wrote:
      > One other thing I just thought of, how much are you trying to ream? You
      > don't want your drill to be any smaller than one size less as the reamer
      > with fractional drills. So if you are reaming a .4995 hole, you want your
      > drill size to be no less than 31/64 or .484. And if the reamer is super
      > long, cut the shank off down to the same length as your drills. For one, I
      > like to keep my reamers in a drill case and nothing worse than having a
      > few
      > to long to shut the lid. Anyways, just wanted to toss that idea out there
      > eliminate some possibilities. One other thing too, swap out the WD-40 for
      > some oil. I always used Vactra because that's what we had at the shop, but
      > at home, any 10W-30 or similar will work. WD-40, although good stuff, just
      > doesn't seem to work as well for reaming, or at least to me it doesn't.
      > The
      > same with tapping, I like a good thick oil so the chips will stick in the
      > flute reliefs. That way you can back out the tap and bring the chips with
      > you.
      >
      > You say that the aluminum is 6061, but what hardness is it? I wouldn't
      > think
      > that it would be 6061-0, but I have grabbed aluminum off of the shelf at
      > work before that someone had used to silver solder some parts, then stuck
      > it
      > back on the shelf. It machined and drilled entirely different in the hot
      > spot of the block.

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
          mill_drill-digest@yahoogroups.com
          mill_drill-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Lynn Kasdorf
      Message 2 of 30 , Apr 24, 2013
        I am in need of an R8 boring head for making holes of arbitrary sizes, and for cutting arcs, and all the other things you can do with a boring head on a mill. I wonder if any of you can suggest a decent head or set in the <$100 range.

        Over the years I have accumulated  a handful of carbide tip boring bars with 1/2" shanks as well as a number of smaller ones with 3/8" shanks. A number of the boring heads I see on ebay have 3/4" holes- I guess they require 3/4 boring bars? Or do people routinely use reducing sleeves to mount smaller shaft boring bars?

        The machines I'll be running this on are a Rockwell vertical mill and a full size Bridgeport clone.

        An example of one I am looking at is this:
        http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3662&category=

        Then, I see one on ebay with these specs:
        • Head = 3"
        • Boring Bar Hole = 3/4"
        • Cross Hole Diameter = 3/8"
        • Max. Offset = 1"
        • Thread Size = 1.5" - 18
        • Graduations = 0.001/0-50
        • Micrometer Lead Screw Provides 0.001" Direct Reading Accuracy and Ease of Adjusting
        • Double Bar Holder Permits a Greater Boring Range Without an Extreme Offset Condition

        Why is the cross hole 3/8 and the boring bar hole 3/4?

        There is much I need to learn about these things- I guess you can mount a boring bar vertically or horizontally.
        Thanks for any info.

        I don't have a large budget and I am not averse to lower price asian or Indian tooleing (I have some very nice pieces that were quite affordable). Is a boring head a case where it is worth spending a bit more money on a really good one?

        Lynn Kasdorf

      • Guenther Paul
        Message 3 of 30 , Apr 24, 2013

          Lynn
          Check these boring heads out

          GP

          Message 4 of 30 , Apr 24, 2013
            I have a cheap boring head, and it works fine. provided the screw isn't sticky
            and the graduations are on straight, even if it's wildly eccentric, it's still
            going to work.

            Assuming you have a lathe, making a sleeve for the boring bar/socket interface
            should be trivial.

            --W

            --
            William Abernathy
            Berkeley, CA
            Message 5 of 30 , Apr 24, 2013
              Here is a nice one you can make. You could scale the drawings to the size you need. You wouldn't have to make the special metric tap shown unless you want to work in metric feeds. An R8>J33 adapter is about $20 and the dovetail cutter is around $50 (if you don't have one). The good news is that, though you could buy a Chinese boring head for $75, you would have the dovetail cutter to make the quick change lathe tool post also shown on this web site...plus the satisfaction of having a tool that you would be proud to put your name on.
              http://homepage3.nifty.com/amigos/boring_head/boring_head-e.htm

              Orlin in SC/USA

              > --W
              >
              > Lynn Kasdorf wrote:
              > >

              > > I am in need of an R8 boring head for making holes of arbitrary sizes, and for
              > > cutting arcs, and all the other things you can do with a boring head on a mill.
              > > I wonder if any of you can suggest a decent head or set in the <$100 range.
              > >
              > > Over the years I have accumulated a handful of carbide tip boring bars with
              > > 1/2" shanks as well as a number of smaller ones with 3/8" shanks. A number of
              > > the boring heads I see on ebay have 3/4" holes- I guess they require 3/4 boring
              > > bars? Or do people routinely use reducing sleeves to mount smaller shaft boring
              > > bars?
              > >
              > > The machines I'll be running this on are a Rockwell vertical mill and a full
              > > size Bridgeport clone.
              > >
              > > An example of one I am looking at is this:
              > > http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3662&category=
              > >
              > > Then, I see one on ebay with these specs:
              > >
              > > *
              > > Head = 3"
              > > *
              > > Boring Bar Hole = 3/4"
              > > *
              > > Cross Hole Diameter = 3/8"
              > > *
              > > Max. Offset = 1"
              > > *
              > > Thread Size = 1.5" - 18
              > > *
              > > Graduations = 0.001/0-50
              > > *
              > > Micrometer Lead Screw Provides 0.001" Direct Reading Accuracy and Ease of
              > > Adjusting
              > > *
              > > Double Bar Holder Permits a Greater Boring Range Without an Extreme Offset
              > > Condition
              > >
              > > Why is the cross hole 3/8 and the boring bar hole 3/4?
              > >
              > > There is much I need to learn about these things- I guess you can mount a boring
              > > bar vertically or horizontally.
              > > Thanks for any info.
              > >
              > > I don't have a large budget and I am not averse to lower price asian or Indian
              > > tooleing (I have some very nice pieces that were quite affordable). Is a boring
              > > head a case where it is worth spending a bit more money on a really good one?
              > >
              > > Lynn Kasdorf
              > >

              > --
              > William Abernathy
              > Berkeley, CA
              > http://yourwritereditor.com

            • Michael Parrish
              Message 6 of 30 , Apr 24, 2013
                Lynn, I have had good luck with these guys: http://www.jtsmach.com/jtswebshop/Workholding/WH252.asp#two . They used to have 10% Tuesdays. Get on the email list, they actually have the occasional good deal. I have bought dozens of the 6" electronic calipers, to spread around the shops where I have worked (usually ~$9.95). The printed sale flyer has the best deals, I have gotten several digital linear slides from them (poor man's DRO). The website does not have the best user interface, but it works. Good hunting, Mike

                --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, William Abernathy <william@...> wrote:

                > I have a cheap boring head, and it works fine. provided the screw isn't sticky
                > and the graduations are on straight, even if it's wildly eccentric, it's still
                > going to work.
                >
                > Assuming you have a lathe, making a sleeve for the boring bar/socket interface
                > should be trivial.
                >
                > --W
                >
                > Lynn Kasdorf wrote:
                > >

                > > I am in need of an R8 boring head for making holes of arbitrary sizes, and for
                > > cutting arcs, and all the other things you can do with a boring head on a mill.
                > > I wonder if any of you can suggest a decent head or set in the <$100 range.
                > >
                > > Over the years I have accumulated a handful of carbide tip boring bars with
                > > 1/2" shanks as well as a number of smaller ones with 3/8" shanks. A number of
                > > the boring heads I see on ebay have 3/4" holes- I guess they require 3/4 boring
                > > bars? Or do people routinely use reducing sleeves to mount smaller shaft boring
                > > bars?
                > >
                > > The machines I'll be running this on are a Rockwell vertical mill and a full
                > > size Bridgeport clone.
                > >
                > > An example of one I am looking at is this:
                > > http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3662&category=
                > >
                > > Then, I see one on ebay with these specs:
                > >
                > > *
                > > Head = 3"
                > > *
                > > Boring Bar Hole = 3/4"
                > > *
                > > Cross Hole Diameter = 3/8"
                > > *
                > > Max. Offset = 1"
                > > *
                > > Thread Size = 1.5" - 18
                > > *
                > > Graduations = 0.001/0-50
                > > *
                > > Micrometer Lead Screw Provides 0.001" Direct Reading Accuracy and Ease of
                > > Adjusting
                > > *
                > > Double Bar Holder Permits a Greater Boring Range Without an Extreme Offset
                > > Condition
                > >
                > > Why is the cross hole 3/8 and the boring bar hole 3/4?
                > >
                > > There is much I need to learn about these things- I guess you can mount a boring
                > > bar vertically or horizontally.
                > > Thanks for any info.
                > >
                > > I don't have a large budget and I am not averse to lower price asian or Indian
                > > tooleing (I have some very nice pieces that were quite affordable). Is a boring
                > > head a case where it is worth spending a bit more money on a really good one?
                > >
                > > Lynn Kasdorf
                > >

                > --
                > William Abernathy
                > Berkeley, CA
                > http://yourwritereditor.com

              • Ramdog
                Message 7 of 30 , Apr 25, 2013
                  What you show from Little Machine Shop works fine for 99% of the jobs you need a boring head for. I think in the 30+ years of toolmaking and tool & die work, I may have used one that used the 3/4" boring bars only once or twice, the rest of the time, it was either one that used the 1/2" boring bars, or a few years back, I bought a smaller boring head that uses the 3/8" boring bars.

                  What type of boring head are you using at the present? If things are sticking, maybe you have one of the lock screws dragging more than the others. I only snug them just a little and keep the screw tension for the adjustment screw just a little snug but not to the point that it sticks and then jumps. If it does, I make sure to back it off quite a ways and come back up to my mark so there is no chance of slop.

                  Kevin

                • Lynn Kasdorf

                    Message 9 of 30 , Apr 25, 2013
                      My mistake, I thought you had a boring head and were looking for another smaller one. The one you show would work fine for almost anything you are boring. If the hole comes out to be a large diameter, you can put your boring bar in the side of the holder and bore that way. Just make sure you have clearance underneath. I've watched a few guys wreck them by not paying attention what was on the other side of the hole. Lol!!!

                      --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Lynn Kasdorf <kasdorfmisc@...> wrote:

                      > I don't have a boring head at all currently. I have an assortment of
                      > 1/2", 3/8", and one or two 3/4" shank boring bars that I picked up over
                      > the years at auctions, but no boring head to mount them in. I am
                      > building a CNC machine currently and I am finding a need to bore metric
                      > size holes in some pieces.
                      >
                      > Although I have had a mill and lathe or some sort since around 2000, I
                      > am just now getting more serious about machining and building more
                      > sophisticated stuff. I finally have a DRO on my Rockwell mill, for example!
                      >
                      > LK
                      >
                      > On 4/25/2013 9:58 AM, Ramdog wrote:
                      > >
                      > > What you show from Little Machine Shop works fine for 99% of the jobs
                      > > you need a boring head for. I think in the 30+ years of toolmaking and
                      > > tool & die work, I may have used one that used the 3/4" boring bars
                      > > only once or twice, the rest of the time, it was either one that used
                      > > the 1/2" boring bars, or a few years back, I bought a smaller boring
                      > > head that uses the 3/8" boring bars.
                      > >
                      > > What type of boring head are you using at the present? If things are
                      > > sticking, maybe you have one of the lock screws dragging more than the
                      > > others. I only snug them just a little and keep the screw tension for
                      > > the adjustment screw just a little snug but not to the point that it
                      > > sticks and then jumps. If it does, I make sure to back it off quite a
                      > > ways and come back up to my mark so there is no chance of slop.
                      > >
                      > > Kevin

                    • W. Smith
                      Message 10 of 30 , Apr 25, 2013
                        I'm with you Bill, boring the seat would be my first choice.

                        Another "Bill"

                        On 4/22/2013 12:36 PM, Bill wrote:
                        > Why would you not use a boring head?
                        >

                        > Bill

                      • Bill
                        Message 11 of 30 , Apr 25, 2013

                          Here Here!!!!

                          The Bills have spoken!

                          The other Bill

                          I'm with you Bill, boring the seat would be my first choice.

                          Another "Bill"

                          On 4/22/2013 12:36 PM, Bill wrote:
                          > Why would you not use a boring head?
                          >

                          > Bill

                          No virus found in this message.

                        • FocusKnobs
                          Message 12 of 30 , Apr 25, 2013

                            That’s fine – as long as no one *sends* us the Bill…