Re: rotary table size?

  • cuttysark71
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 19, 2013
      Dana,

      I have a 6" Phase II table. It is a well made product, but came damaged. The handle on the handwheel was bent pretty badly. I got the table from Enco, and a phone call was all it took to get it resolved. They wanted me to return the table but I didn't want to pay shipping for such a minor thing. They offered me a price adjustment which I took and then just drilled out the hole in the wheel for the next size imperial thread (3/8-16) and tapped to accept a handle from my collection of parts. I wish now that I had gone with at least an 8" diameter table. Think about the size of parts you will be making and don't go any smaller than you MIGHT need. I've had to do some creative fixturing to hold 8" and larger parts.
    • svsequoia_pdx
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 19, 2013
        Dana:

        I have an 8" Phase II and I am glad I got one at least that big. (I have an RF 45 clone mill/drill.) Attaching a chuck or collet holder to a smaller one can be a pain. Also consider that the center hole has a Morse taper and whether or not you have MT tooling holders for that size.

        The Phase II operates smoothly and appears well-designed except for the hand wheel, which is plastic molded over a keyed steel insert. Their website pictures show a metal wheel but it wasn't available. I actually got my table on sale because the plastic wheel had broken in shipping to the distributor. (I was planning on gluing it back together and moving the handle to a different location, but they didn't send the broken bits and the handle, so I just bought a new wheel from Phase II and turned a brass handle for it.) One of the virtues of Phase II is that they have parts for their Chinese imports!

        Most experienced machinists also recommend getting a horizontal/vertical table.
        Craig
      • Guenther Paul
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 19, 2013
          Cutty Sark
          Hey just want to tell you i used to drink that poison now i cant hardly find it in stores. That's ok don't need it

          GP

          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 20, 2013
            You could build your own rotary table. Here is the one that Mr. Ishimura made. He includes photos and drawings.

            http://homepage3.nifty.com/amigos/index_table/indextable-e.htm

            Be sure to look at all the tools he has made. His projects always show the highest workmanship.

            Orlin in SC/USA